Yes, everyone says the JCM 800 is the ultimate 80s rock and metal distortion, but I never hear about its cleans. I guess nobody wants to talk about them. Are they really that bad? Also, how would this amp's cleans and distortion compare to a 1978 Marshall Super Lead Plexi? Thanks.
Quote by modirnwarfare
Yes, everyone says the JCM 800 is the ultimate 80s rock and metal distortion, but I never hear about its cleans. I guess nobody wants to talk about them. Are they really that bad? Also, how would this amp's cleans and distortion compare to a 1978 Marshall Super Lead Plexi? Thanks.

it's not an amp used for cleans. its a single channel amp. if you get an 800 youre not worried about cleans. also this will have a bit more punch than a plexi will. not a high gain amp though.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Depends on the model, there are the 2203/2204 which are single channel, they don't have a clean channel, you can roll back your guitar's volume though and keep the gain down to clean up the sound.

There are the 2205/2210 JCM 800's which have 2-channels. I've heard their cleans sound pretty nice, but their voicing is more modern sounding than the one channel JCM800's.

Also there is the 2203KK, which is the Kerry King signature amp. This is pretty much like the single channel JCM 800, but with fuller sound (KT88 tubes) and Kerry King's signature controls, which give you more gain, a noise gate and more mids. You can do the same as for the normal 2203 to get it clean.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Maybe, all the guys who use the JCM's (primarily for a rock/metal sound) are using high output pickups. Single coils will definitely take out some of the bite and clean it up...
I have a single channel one and I just roll back the guitar's volume knob, and it doesn't sound half bad. Since it's a one channel amp, the cleans do sound really plain, without any sparkle or warmth, unless you fiddle with the eq every time you switch to clean
My 2203 didn't sound too bad on clean. Definitely not the best sounding cleans, but that's not why you buy that amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
It's not a Bassman or a tweed, but i like the cleans on the 2203/4 series. Never tried a dual stage JCM800, but i'm sure there isn't a super huge difference between the two.

The cleans are allright if you're playing Rock n Roll (RnR cleans aren't the best cleans, but that's the point)
If you're after a superclean tone like let's say David Gilmour, you won't really be happy.

The JCM800s are amps that were made for high crunch, tube roaring and such, not really for cleans