I'm looking into to getting into programs like Fruity Loops and was thinking about buying one, but before I spend my money I was wondering if you guys had better options or suggestions on what I should start with, thx. =)
I find fruity loops to be handy as hell. I have version 7xxl (producer); the synths are great and it will take just about any plug-in on the market (so if your DAW software won't take a plug, export to FL, do your thing and send the file back to DAW). The interface can take a little getting used to, but if you have a midi controller this program is quite nice for the price.
2004 Fender Mexican Fat Strat
2003 Epiphone SG-400
Marshall DSL-401
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter

http://www.myspace.com/realityfracture/
Ableton Live Ableton Live Ableton Live Ableton Live

FL studio is nice and all, it has it's uses and it's probably my second favourite DAW, but by god Ableton Live takes the biscuit. It allows you to split your track into short clips and loop them and play them over each other and edit them on the fly and chop and cut and change and stretch and squash and warp and mangle and do all sorts of crazy stuff and record clips live and take the whole thing and record it then edit it somemore and oh god I love it so much asdhjkasdjhaflasdf....

Download the demo. You will never regret it. It is by far the easiest program to work with and to be creative with. It's all the good parts of Fruity Loops, but just so much better.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Fruity Loops is amazing, I actually get credit in one of my classes for using it
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by EnemyWolf
..was thinking about buying one, but before I spend my money I was wondering if you guys had better options...

Warez
Quote by sg255
Ableton Live Ableton Live Ableton Live Ableton Live

FL studio is nice and all, it has it's uses and it's probably my second favourite DAW, but by god Ableton Live takes the biscuit. It allows you to split your track into short clips and loop them and play them over each other and edit them on the fly and chop and cut and change and stretch and squash and warp and mangle and do all sorts of crazy stuff and record clips live and take the whole thing and record it then edit it somemore and oh god I love it so much asdhjkasdjhaflasdf....

Download the demo. You will never regret it. It is by far the easiest program to work with and to be creative with. It's all the good parts of Fruity Loops, but just so much better.

THIS. Live is basically the most amazing DAW that ever existed. There's one hell of a learning curve (you'll get the hand of it after a few days if you really focus) but it's SO worth it. I do everything in Live, I stopped using Pro Tools altogether.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
THIS. Live is basically the most amazing DAW that ever existed. There's one hell of a learning curve (you'll get the hand of it after a few days if you really focus) but it's SO worth it. I do everything in Live, I stopped using Pro Tools altogether.

Fuck yeah bro.
There's a reason it's what Daft Punk, Simian Mobile Disco, Justice, Hot Chip, Deadmau5 and probably most of your favourite electronic artists use live. It is the only thing that really lets you be creative when using a computer live.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Quote by sg255
Fuck yeah bro.
There's a reason it's what Daft Punk, Simian Mobile Disco, Justice, Hot Chip, Deadmau5 and probably most of your favourite electronic artists use live. It is the only thing that really lets you be creative when using a computer live.

Don't forget DJ Jazzy Jeff! I mean seriously, he's basically the coolest guy on the planet and if he uses Live, how can it be bad? hahahaha

But yeah, I actually paid full (student) price for Live because I like it so much. I'll probably buy a suite upgrade one of these days once I have a job again.

Also, now that Ableton has introduced Live Intro, anyone can get into it with less of the limits that come with LE (although they're offering free upgrades from LE to Intro right now, so go buy a $90 midi keyboard that comes with LE and get the upgrade and save a buttload of money on a GREAT setup!).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
my band uses Ableton live for recording, and my keyboardist uses it for his dj stuff, making his electronic mixes. if interested, you can hear what ableton can produce, there is a link in my sig. i personally find it hard to use, but ive never really had a chance to mess around with it. but from what i can see when my keyboardist uses it, its pretty awesome.
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
It depends what you wanna do with it. All-round, I like Logic. I've heard good things about Live and as soon as I get some moneys I'm gonna purchase the shit out of it.

I'd consider FL to be a bit of an entry-level DAW, but if you've tried it and like it, go for it. But definitely get some demos of other programs to figure out what you want to do.

XAVIEDIT: That's another thing, I forgot to mention plug-ins. If you get something with VST/AU/RTAS support, it doesn't matter how good a program it is, you've got THOUSANDS of options for different effects, synths, processing, and other plugins, a good portion of which are free.
Last edited by xaviergray at Nov 27, 2009,
I wish Ableton wasn't absurdly expensive. Well, the base version isn't, but it sucks unless you load it up with plugins.

And no, I don't torrent stuff that expensive.