Title pretty much says it all, but I'm a total noob when it comes to tube amps.

My main question was: is this something I can do myself? I've read different things saying that I should get a professional to do it, and then other things sayings it's as simple as pulling the old ones and popping the new ones in.

If I'm putting the same type of tubes in (not same manufacturer), do I need to bias the amp?

And finally.. the B52 uses these tubes:

4 – 6L6 / 5881
4 – 12AX7
1 – 12AX7
1 – 12AX7
1 – 12AX7
1 – 5AR4

Are there any recommended models or manufacturers that I should get the tubes from?

Like I said, I'm a total noob to tube amps; the AT-100 is my first one, and I've never had to mess with it until one of the tubes went bad yesterday. Don't rip my head of please!

Thanks for any help!
My Gear
Marshall MG10 + Digitech RP350 multi-fx
Dean ZX
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig
yes you will have to re-bias, though it isnt very hard.

Yes re-tubing is definetly something you can do yourself all you do is take old ones out pop new ones in, bias and your ready to go.
Quote by woodenbandman
As far as I'm concerned, Boogies descended from heaven on a heavenly A Major soundwave played over a choir of angels singing America/God Save The Queen and giving out free candy.

Need some change for strings? http://www.cashcrate.com/2476533
would you recomend that amp to me? The combo at least.

I play classic, modern, and prog rock and metal
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by westdyolf
would you recomend that amp to me? The combo at least.

I play classic, modern, and prog rock and metal

If you want versatility on a budget B-52 AT 212 is the way to go.

I would compare it to a dual rec having played a B-52 212 and owning a recto
Quote by woodenbandman
As far as I'm concerned, Boogies descended from heaven on a heavenly A Major soundwave played over a choir of angels singing America/God Save The Queen and giving out free candy.

Need some change for strings? http://www.cashcrate.com/2476533
Quote by son of anarchy
yes you will have to re-bias, though it isnt very hard.

Yes re-tubing is definetly something you can do yourself all you do is take old ones out pop new ones in, bias and your ready to go.

It's pretty hard to bias an amplifier when it's turned on knowing that the anode is dancing around with a lot of voltage...
Quote by son of anarchy

I would compare it to a dual rec having played a B-52 212 and owning a recto

Yeah, the B52 is a really good amp. It's not the best at everything out of the box, but throw a chorus on the clean, and an EQ in the effects loop, and whatever else you might need, and you can get a ton of sweet tones out of it.

So.. for Rebiasing I should definitely get a shop to do it?
My Gear
Dean ZX
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig
Quote by son of anarchy

+1

Retubing isn't the hard part, its getting the bias right that can be tricky your first time. Plenty of tutorials out there though. Just be sure you get a matched set of power tubes.
I'd take a look at Eurotubes. There is a lot of good, usefull information about tubes and biasing the B-52 amps.
Jackson DXMG
Charvel
B-52 AT100
Marshall 1960A
Pedals and stuff
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Eurotube gave me exactly what I was looking for!
My Gear
Dean ZX
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig
Sorry to raise this thread from its grave, but if I wanted to change just one tube, would I need to bias the tubes again?

And is ordering tubes online safe? i.e. they won't get damage en route, etc? Thankies.
My Gear
Dean ZX
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig
Quote by ZachCrawfordOMG
Sorry to raise this thread from its grave, but if I wanted to change just one tube, would I need to bias the tubes again?

And is ordering tubes online safe? i.e. they won't get damage en route, etc? Thankies.

If you are changing a preamp tube, you won't need to rebias since it's in Class A operation.

However, if you are changing power tubes, you should always change them in matched pairs.

Never change a single power tube unless you have the technical knowledge, equipment and sufficient supply of tubes to match a new power tube to your old power tube. Which I doubt you'd have anyway.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 30, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
If you are changing a preamp tube, you won't need to rebias since it's in Class A operation.
However, if you are changing power tubes, you should always change them in matched pairs.

Ok, it's the OD channel preamp tube I'm talking about, so that would be a simple pull-out, pop-in procedure? (No pull-out jokes, please.)
Quote by ragingkitty
Never change a single power tube unless you have the technical knowledge, equipment and sufficient supply of tubes to match a new power tube to your old power tube. Which I doubt you have anyway.

You're very right, I lack the knowledge and the tubes
My Gear
Dean ZX
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig
Quote by ZachCrawfordOMG
Ok, it's the OD channel preamp tube I'm talking about

Well you'd probably want to check the various preamp tubes, like 12AX7, 12AU7, 12AT7, or 12AY7 or whatever. Different preamp tubes have different qualities... some give a warmer sound, or more headroom, or earlier break-ups, or less gain or more gain or whatever.

Even between brands, some 12AX7 have better chime, more gain etc etc. Just check out the various characteristics of the different preamp tubes and the differences of different brands to get the sound you want or to adjust the tone to your liking.

Also, you might want to check with the maker if that particular tube affects the OD channel. Usually the V1 and some combination of tubes like maybe V3 and V5 all stack to provide the gain for the OD channel and changing one tube in that gain cascade will change your tone in sometimes unexpected ways.

Quote by ZachCrawfordOMG
so that would be a simple pull-out, pop-in procedure? (No pull-out jokes, please.)

I wasn't even thinking about it until you mentioned it.

Yes, remove the metal tube sleeve(if any), remove the old preamp tube, slot in the new preamp tube, slot back the metal tube sleeve (if any) and you're good to go.

Just line up the connector pins and make sure the changed tubes are properly seated in the tube slots

Quote by ZachCrawfordOMG
You're very right, I lack the knowledge and the tubes

However, you probably possess the cojones to think about trying it, since you mentioned it .
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 30, 2009,