3 27%
BYOC large beaver
3 27%
Blackout effectors musket fuzz
1 9%
Other (please specify)
4 36%
Voters: 11.
Ok guys im looking for the gilmour wall era tone and there are a few big muffs/clones out there which all seem pretty good. Being a 16 year old i dont have much money to spend but if a particular pedal was worth it i might go up to about £120. So the options are:

EHX Big Muff w/ tone wicker - good value but possibly not as good quality as the other 2

BYOC large Beaver - seems like the best option but not really sure

Blackout Musket Fuzz - a lot of knob twiddling which i dont really like and also expensive but still an option

These aren't my only options but from what i hear they seem to be the best ones considering value for money etc
Fender American Deluxe Strat, Epiphone Firebird Studio Worn Cherry, Adam Black S5ce

Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack, Keeley BD-2, Proco Vintage Rat, MXR Script Phase 90, Danelectro Chorus, Marshall Echohead

Peavey Classic 30
Quote by nightraven
NO

the wall-era big muff is a ram's head big muff (second version, early/mid 70s). the sovtek big muff is totally different and the made by mike stuff is of pretty 'questionable' quality inside.

the hottest direct big muff clones right now are the stomp under foot ones, which are very affordable.

-(-1) + this = win

<3

Violet Ram muff boosted by an overdrive (Tube Driver)

It will cost a lot, but you can find VR clones for like 100-150 USD
Last edited by stykerwolf at Nov 27, 2009,
Quote by nightraven
NO

the wall-era big muff is a ram's head big muff (second version, early/mid 70s). the sovtek big muff is totally different and the made by mike stuff is of pretty 'questionable' quality inside.

the hottest direct big muff clones right now are the stomp under foot ones, which are very affordable.

and you order the stomp under foot pedals from the website am i right?
would you say the violet ram is the one to get?
Fender American Deluxe Strat, Epiphone Firebird Studio Worn Cherry, Adam Black S5ce

Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack, Keeley BD-2, Proco Vintage Rat, MXR Script Phase 90, Danelectro Chorus, Marshall Echohead

Peavey Classic 30
Quote by rhcp-legends
and you order the stomp under foot pedals from the website am i right?
would you say the violet ram is the one to get?

There's two thing i'd like to add here;

1) Nightraven knows his shit about muffs

2) He knows what's best for David Gilmour

3) Gilmour used a Violet Ram
any opinion on the 3 in the original post?

Peavey Classic 30
Stomp Under Foot or Large Beaver. Don't go Made By Mike or Protone.

But yeah, ideally a Violet Ram's Head Clone. I'm not sure if he used a Triangle at any point of his career, but I personally prefer it to the Ram's Head, but that's just me.

You'll need an OD to boost it though.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Last edited by rhcp_freak at Nov 27, 2009,
Yeah a VRH from Stompunderfoot would be a good choice, I live in the UK too and I just ordered one a few days ago, I can't wait for it to arrive! And even with shipping and import duty etc, it shouldn't cost much more than £100.
For the Animals tour and on the Wall Gilmour used a Ram's Head and pushed it with a Tube Driver. Everything after the wall was a Civil War muff. In my opinion, the best Big Muff to give you the Gilmour tone without stacking it or pushing it would be the Violet Ram's Head.
If you want to push a muff then I would go with the Ram's Head.
The generalguitargadgets.com BMP is another option. IIRC, its around 60 bucks and can be built to any specs you like. I have one built to triangle specs and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Last edited by Jason43 at Nov 27, 2009,
Ram's head muff.

In all honesty the Russian Muff wouldn't be a bad idea. Gilmour tended to use it more as a distortion however his set up was than a big muffy fuzzy muff. Russian Muff with a tone stack bypass can cop that kind of tone a bit better.