So I'm looking to get a new guitar for christmas, but my parents aren't going to spend that much on one. I already have a shitty beginner one that I've had for 3 years, and I'm looking to get at least one step above it. I'm wanting a good sounding Ibanez guitar for intermediate players, but it has to be less than like $500(or barely over). Any suggestions?

Or, if that won't work, any other brands you guys suggest?
RGs are great guitars. Ibanez makes both hard tail and trem versions, so just take your pick. As long as your in either the standard or tremolo series, they should all be around $400.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
I'm a pretty big noob to guitar terminology, but what is hard-tail? And tremelo just means with the tremelo on the guitar right?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I'm a pretty big noob to guitar terminology, but what is hard-tail? And tremelo just means with the tremelo on the guitar right?

a hard tail is where the bridge is solid like the tune o matic on gibsons, and a tremelo is where there is a tremelo or a floyd rose bridge.
Quote by britishsligean
a hard tail is where the bridge is solid like the tune o matic on gibsons, and a tremelo is where there is a tremelo or a floyd rose bridge.

Yeah but how different do they sound?
Quote by guitarhero_764

well if you want to do like dive bombs and stuff like that your gonna need a tremolo. the hard tail would probably have a little better sustain. its difficult to change tunings with tremolo's---unless its a strat style, floyd rose styles can be difficult.
Quote by guitarhero_764

they sound about the same, the sound is mostly dependent on the pickups and the componets of the circuit, but from what i've heard is hard tails are better if you are going to do bending as you force the tremelo to move and change the height of the strings, and the strings can detune whilst playing the strings can detune
I say go for the hard tail ibanez rg series. Tuning a floyd rose is a pain in the ass, and if you dont know much about guitars, that even worse.
My Gear:

PRS Se Custom 24
Vox Vt 30
Esp Ltd C-301 Bass
Acoustic B100 Bass Amp
Morley Power Wah Bass Pedal
Sound/Tone wise a new guitar isn't going to make much difference. What you need to improve the tone is a new amp. I understand that you want a new guitar and that the one you have is a starter guitar but don't expect it to sound amazing through your amp (which I'm guessing is a Solid State amp).

By the way an Ibanez would be great for you and I'd rekomend a hardtail (no whammy bar).
Last edited by mikey_360 at Nov 27, 2009,
Quote by Chase_Jarvis23
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RGA42FM-Electric-Guitar-502235-i1463462.gc

You will need to replace a 9v battery like once every year, but this is the best guitar in your price range

This is the way to go
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
Quote by Fives
This is the way to go

Actives are not the Be all and end all. I found that out by myself but they are good for metal.

But if the TS has a Solid State amp they will just produce pure fuzz.

TS what amp do you have?
Go to a guitar store and try out a bunch of guitars within your price range, I mean I could ask you a few questions but it would seem like a worthless exercise (no offence just lack of guitar knowledge will make you confused)