This is a song I wrote a few weeks ago, and finally got round to recording. I drew most of my inspiration from Keep of Kalessin, as well as a bit of Death and Behemoth. I'm pretty pleased with the result. I focused on getting everything as tight as I could this time round, rather than any overly difficult playing.

I hope you guys like this piece, personally I'm very very pleased with it

At the Mercy of the Cruel Sun

Cheers
My Bands

Latest Original Recording
That was good stuff. I'm not familiar with the first band you mentioned but it does have elements of the other two. I think there are a few things you can do to improve the mix though. The drums have no real prescence, it sounds a bit like they're "veiled" and lacking clarity. They could definitely use a bit more top end. I'd like to hear just a touch of delay on the lead guitar to give it a more definite space of its own too.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
Hey guys, thanks for the constructive criticism! The drums probably are far from perfect, I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to that yet so everything you can suggest for those is welcomed warmly! I will try adding a bit of top end in future material! It'd be nice to have some real drums to experiment on. As far as lead guitar goes, to be honest I'm not sure which is lead. If you mean the solos then yeah, I see what you mean, I might give a bit of delay a try. I tried to keep this very raw, and it seems to have worked okay, but there's definitely more that can be done!

By the way, if you haven't heard of Keep of Kalessin yet, I must suggest them. I think pretty much any musician can enjoy them!

Cheers'!
My Bands

Not bad at all. I have a few criticisms though. The drums sound weak and boring. The vocals aren't to my taste, but they fit pretty well...they could use a bit more reverb or something to that effect, to me right now they sound rather bland and processed. The guitar tone needs work...the solo tone is nice, but the riffs are too trebly and weak. For example in one of the later blastbeat segments, the riff is quite buried and weak sounding. It needs more power, more low end, and more presence in the mix. After all, this is metal - the guitar is the main instrument. As it is now, it provides a background melodic presence, rather than the source of the power of the song.

Nothing wrong with the song structure or riffs themselves, I enjoyed them even though I don't like this style of overly melodic metal. The production is the key thing you should work on.
Last edited by AzureNight at Nov 28, 2009,
I actually thought the vocals were the best part. The guitar tone didn't appeal to me much, but thats fixable. Good song though, definite potential.

If you'd care too - check out the song on my profile and give me some feedback. Thanks man
Are You the family of one of keep of kallesin? it sounds very much like their sound, including the vocals
I very much enjoyed the vocals, drums and rhythm guitar, the leads need work though, the lead bits at the start didn't really fit at all, and the solo was SLIGHTLY sloppy, the whole thing sounded a LOT like keep of kalessin, and not really anything like death or behemoth
Hey guys, good to see a few more mixed comments now! I'm glad to see pretty much everyone seems to have enjoyed it on some level. About being influenced by Death and Behemoth, I think there's a few hints of Death in the solo backing (Sound of Perseverance era - been listening to a lot of "Moment of Clarity" ). Behemoth are just one of my general influences anyway I guess.

Just wondering, which was the sloppy solo? The second one? That was a bit improvised, but I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out haha.

Again, cheers for all the comments guys!
My Bands

This is bone crushing, i love it. I think your vocals are awesome, like a black metal version of randy blythe (lamb of god) but they are a little too loud in the mix. I agfree that they could use some delay (maybe a little reverb too) The cymbals on the drums could be more pronounced too. The lead/solos sound fantastic. Overall this is really impressive.
Last edited by Will Terhart at Nov 30, 2009,
Wow, that was quick! Cheers man! I'll try a bit more delay and reverb on vocals, and drop them down a bit further in future, I know they're pretty dry as is. Thanks again for the super-quick reply!
My Bands

awesome mate oO reminds me a lot to Cradle of Filth!!!

5/5!!!

check mine? (not as well produced as yours but you'll get the idea!)
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22424077
That sounds particulary wicked!! That metrognome in the beginning sounded sort of awkward though. I thought it sounded like it was made with high quality equipment in a studio. I can't really spot out a mistake but, don't take this the wrong way, it kind of sounds a bit generic. It's good, but some of the riffs don't capture my attention too much. This is still pretty damn good man. Keep it up! Oh and thanks for the crit!!! Much appreciated!
Quote by Daemos
Hey guys, good to see a few more mixed comments now! I'm glad to see pretty much everyone seems to have enjoyed it on some level. About being influenced by Death and Behemoth, I think there's a few hints of Death in the solo backing (Sound of Perseverance era - been listening to a lot of "Moment of Clarity" ). Behemoth are just one of my general influences anyway I guess.

Just wondering, which was the sloppy solo? The second one? That was a bit improvised, but I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out haha.

Again, cheers for all the comments guys!

first solo if I can remember correctly