I'm currently using an epi Les Paul, bought 2 or 3 years ago for 700 bucks or so, and i'm using a Kustom Dual 35 DFX amp

I do enjoy the very deep jazzy tone I can get out of the les paul, when I have it set on rhythm and put the effects to 0, it sound great.

But I am dissapointed with how it sounds finger picked, it doesn't seem very responsive at all. I don't know a whole lot when it comes to choosing gear, and i'd rather not put any trust into a music store salesman, so I've come here.

Should I be able to get a good sound with fingerstyle on my epiphone les paul?
I'm looking for a really bright, clean tone, ideally like Ted Greene's beastly tone (as close as i can get for now, at least) I know he used a Strat Telecaster, and some sort of Twin Reverb amp, but i'm wondering if my current combination is in the complete wrong direction of what i should have.

thanks in advance
new pickups might suit you better

edit: you may need a new amp, i don't know much about kustom amps, but a good tube amp should help abit
Last edited by britishsligean at Nov 27, 2009,
a tele will definitely get you a good fingerpicking sound, and put it on the neck pup on clean and you can get great blues and jazz sounds too
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
Well, if you want that really clear ringing tone the Tele/Twin combination is hard to match. What you have is a bit more punchy and classic rock biased. If your Epi can take a coil split, that would help a bit and also careful EQing of the amp might get you a bit closer still.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

how much would it cost to get a telecaster of reasonable quality, comparable to my current les paul? and a twin reverb? i know most are 1 grand+ but are there any that will still give the same feel, just a little less money
Quote by Themann810
how much would it cost to get a telecaster of reasonable quality, comparable to my current les paul? and a twin reverb? i know most are 1 grand+ but are there any that will still give the same feel, just a little less money

A low-mid level fender telecaster used cost like an epiphone les paul new.