Hey been looking into upgrading from my trusty roland cube 30x to something bigger. Starting music practice at college next sept and will be gigging a lot so will need something with a bit more punch. Also i am wanting something with a bit more tonal performance as well. I have been looking at the spider valve series, i am currently torn between the hd100 head, or the hd212 combo. Same amp just different format. I mainly play in my bedroom but will be doing gigs and need something that can be suitable for both. Just wonder what the opinion is please, would be greatly appreciated.
Wait.... you want to 'upgrade' from a Cube to a Spider Valve? Save your money man. If you're really set on getting a moddeler, get the Line 6 Vetta or flextone, depending on budget.

Also, a head/cab set-up gives you more tweakability because you can choose what speaker sizes to use. It is generally better, but also quite a bit more expensive.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
I've gone for a Blackstar HT5, put the combo against stack, then I notice that you get better tone out of the two speakers than one, more to the subject, generally there is more speakers in stacks.

As my good friend here says, more speakers is a slight boost in tone. But if it has to fit in a room, or be portable, then combo all the way.
I actually had this problem today - Bugera 6262 combo vs Bugera 6262 stack. I went with the combo because A) thanks to the black friday sales, it was $250 cheaper - which is a lot when you're a broke student like me - and B) it was way more portable and I could always hook it up to a cab anyway. Now, off topic - if you absolutely must get a modeling amp, check out the Peavey Vypyr tube series. I've heard good things about those.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
actually i gues it doesnt neeed to be a combo. In all honesty i only reli use the recto setting on my cube. I guess MY sound is quite a high gain typical thrash metal sound, with a bit of delay. But i dnt want to get an amp wich only gives me that. Im looking to spend max like 500 on the head?
^what currency?
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
500 pounds that is. Had a bit of a look at the valveking, seems a lot of amp for the money. Just a shme bout lack of delay effect and the distorting ceans i have heard about. Iv also realised it desnt need to model other amps, just something thats versatile andcan hande high gain. Any other reccommendations?
How much are you planning to spend on a cab?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
EDIT: I didn't realise you wanted it for college, then for high gain I would reccomend a Blackstar HT-5 with a boost/overdrive pedal.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Last edited by Jak Archer at Nov 28, 2009,
^For £200 for cab you could get a Harley Benton 2x12 (loaded with celestion V30's) from Thomann
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
so from research i have narrowed it down to between, the behringer bugera 333xl, the spider vh100 or the the peavey valveking 100. What do we think?