Hey everyone, I am trying to get a Doors cover band together, and I will be taking over vocals. My voice is pretty similar to Jim's, but it isn't there. I listen to, study, and practice singing his stuff just about everyday. Also, I will be, hopefully, taking vocal lessons this spring or summer, but what could you guys suggest to help me nail his style. Thanks for the help.
Well one thing is sure: You need to sing it fully relaxed,not to take any Coke or something like that for about a month if you are using it and you cannot scream a lot no matter where you are because Jimmy was always calm. And try some simple practices: Holding just one note for about 6 seconds or singing just one song while that same song is in background for about 2 hours. Sorry for bad English and good luck. Send me how did you pass...
Thanks, and I do not do cocaine if that's what you mean. My drug use is only alcohol, cigarrettes, weed, and psychedelics (I am not anywhere near as self-destructive as Mr. Morrison though). And thanks for the other advice. If I can find a mic, I might try and record some stuff so you guys can properly critique my vocals.
My understanding was that Jim was a big advocate of Frank Sinatra.

He also influenced Glenn Danzig.

So, my guess is that you could try familiarising yourself with these two, and say 'oh, that bit's like Jim'.
Quote by Ramblin'_Man
what could you guys suggest to help me nail his style. .

This.....

Quote by Ramblin'_Man
listen to, study, and practice singing his stuff just about everyday.
shred is gaudy music