So I replaced all of my strings a day or two before a show I had to play. That was a week ago. Since then, I've broken two strings. Lately I've found myself replacing my strings every three weeks because they just keep breaking. Why is this happening? I don't play half as hard as a lot of other people, and I only play in standard tuning. I use Ernie Ball 9's. I'm thinking it maybe has something to do with the cold weather? Anyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
i use hybrids, slighlty heavier bass side, but that doesnt really help

make sure there's no notches in your pick or in the bridge saddles
ernie ball's always did that to me even when i used 10's, also once i had a sharp groove in a saddle that kept breaking my high e string, you may wanna check where the srting is breaking at.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
where they are breaking if they are breaking on bridge you will need to check out if everything is right with saddle, my bassist had problems too with E string and he replaced saddle and now everything is ok.
Are they breaking at one particular place (bridge/nut)?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Check the saddles, if they're worn down or sharpened through wear and tear that can cause strings to break

Although, I tried Ernie Ball strings for a month or so and they broke a lot. I've never broken a string when using Elixir's
get d'adarios and check your saddles.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
get some D'addarios 9's or 10's there cheap and last long I'm still using the same pair of strings for over 3 months and they still sound great just remember to wipe your strings every now and then to make them last longer.
My Gear (prepare to be amazed)

Squire Affinity Strat HSS

Yamaha FD02

Fender Bullet 150 DSP amp
^
+1
What guitar do you have? If it's a TOM, get anything with the Graphtech String Savers. They basically do what you think they do. If it's a Fender-style trem, just go out and buy the saddles. If it's a floyd... you're screwed.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Where is it breaking? What gauge? What picks? What are you wearing?
wut?
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
DD7;NS2;ML2;RC20XL;BCB60;FS6;PH3
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Thank you, you've all been very informative and helpful (except you Mr_CiNiC, f*ck you.)
Love you too, babe.
Recommending switching string brands to fix his problem just because you're preferential to that brand is just retarded. His problem is most likely in his bridge. Especially if it's a tune--o-matic style. Those can turn into string eaters quite easily. The best fix I have found is GraphTech saddles. I haven't broken a string on my ibanez since i got the string saver saddles over a year ago. I'm putting them on my Les Paul as soon as Im done rewiring it.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.