Just curious as to what the real difference is between the normal version and the "familly reserve"s is. All I can see is that the reserve is about $1,000 more than the normal version.

(Normal version + piezo)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Music-Man-John-Petrucci-6-Electric-Guitar-w--Piezo-Bridge-518582-i1401747.gc

(Family Reserve)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Music-Man-Ball-Family-Reserve-John-Petrucci-6-Electric-Guitar-518578-i1421838.gc
Proghead and Proud
The BFR model has higher build and wood quality,a very high grade figured maple top,an alder body w/ a mahogany tone block instead of basswood like the regular model,and a mahogany neck instead of birdseye maple like the regular version.I think it also has a wiring mod on a pot that engages both pickups at once when toggled.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

i've played the non-BFR version at my local music store, cannot say that it should be worth 2 grand. i play ESP's and Ibanez's, and it (while it should have been) was not better than any of them that i ever played. To tell you the truth, i preferred my old $250 ESP LTD over it. I was hoping that it would be the best guitar i have ever played and i walked out absolutely hating it. It very well might have been because my local music store set it up wrong or did something horrible to it, but i will never buy one online without playing it and being amazed first.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Well I've played the normal model and loved it, just wondering if the extra $1,000 is actually worth it. Does it still have the piezo?
Proghead and Proud
Quote by SchecterAbuser7
Well I've played the normal model and loved it, just wondering if the extra $1,000 is actually worth it. Does it still have the piezo?

IMO the BFR version sounds,looks,and feels a lot better than the normal model...and yes,it has a piezo system as well.They wouldn't bump the price up by $1000 and take away one of the guitars most unique features .

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Yes, the Reserve model still has the piezo.

I'll also chime in, having played a bunch of EBMM JPFR models. They're good, very, very good. But they aren't worth the price tag. That being said, you can typically pick them up used for (relatively) dirt cheap. The Family Reserve model is something silly like $2700 CAD but there's a mint used one up on CL for $1250. Guess that also speaks to how you shouldn't buy this guitar as an investment
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...