My band has 4 members in it 2 guitarists rythym and lead, a drummer, and a bassist.
We were all wondering cuz we dont know anything about bass guitar AT ALL. what kind of bass would be good for a beginner. and how we would incorporate a bass guitar into our music. we play Metal and we already have 5 songs written 1 of them is relatively slow and the rest of them are faster. thanx

-Tim.Paragon
Not knowing much about bass myself, but for METAL just have him play the root note of whatever chord the guitarists are playing, maybe have some "fills" simular to the drums at the end of a verse?
Squier P-bass, whatever amp you feel is big enough, Lo's and hi's up max, Mid's cut out on the amp.

Play root note of whatever the rhythm guitarist is playing.
have him do a little one step hammer on/pull off whenever he feels it'd fit (cliche'd, I know)

/Thread.
Quote by eterom11
Yes, it is then!

You are truly a god among men.

Quote by Pancakehead
Dear Scribbllez I Googled it my good sir,
A hearty lol it did stir.

Ending Autumn
Quote by Scribbllez
Squier P-bass, whatever amp you feel is big enough, Lo's and hi's up max, Mid's cut out on the amp.

Play root note of whatever the rhythm guitarist is playing.
have him do a little one step hammer on/pull off whenever he feels it'd fit (cliche'd, I know)

/Thread.
great way not to get heard, TBH.

Bass at like 2 for a bit of meat, mids at 6-7 and treble a little lower than mids. (Like 4-5)
^great way to not be felt.

bass at about 5, mids and treble at about 7.

an Ibanez would be a good bass, or an ESP. an Acoustic (amp) will get a very clear sound, which fits very well.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
having never heard your music i wouldn't know how to fit a bass into your music but if it was my music i would most likely play a counter-melody and then tie in with the drums
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
You have a bassist in your band and he doesn't know anything about bass?
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Quote by GeToChKn
You have a bassist in your band and he doesn't know anything about bass?

i thought it was weird as well

i find many threads like this off putting to have a band with a bassit with no clue what they are doing
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Steve08
great way not to get heard, TBH.

Bass at like 2 for a bit of meat, mids at 6-7 and treble a little lower than mids. (Like 4-5)

Great way to miss the point.

If he has no idea what he's doing, he shouldn't be heard, he should just be the middle man between the guitarists and the drummer.

He should have the bass just high enough to mix with the kick drum, but low enough to not be heard over the guitars.
Quote by eterom11
Yes, it is then!

You are truly a god among men.

Quote by Pancakehead
Dear Scribbllez I Googled it my good sir,
A hearty lol it did stir.

Ending Autumn
Quote by Scribbllez
Great way to miss the point.

If he has no idea what he's doing, he shouldn't be heard, he should just be the middle man between the guitarists and the drummer.

He should have the bass just high enough to mix with the kick drum, but low enough to not be heard over the guitars.

But if he can't hear himself during practice he'll never get better.

Check out a Squier P or J bass, a Squier VM, or an Ibanez GSR200 for a beginner bass, and look to Acoustic for the amp, best bang for your buck.

Start him off playing root notes and as he improves, build up his parts.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass