I'm going to buy a multiFX pedal for most of my modulation/delay type effects, as well as recording. I also want to be able to play metal with this pedal. My gear is in my sig, and I will be using the Rebel 30, which is a tube guitar amp, with whichever multiFX I get. I have a couple of questions:

1. How are the high gain sounds of the Boss GT-10? Better than the MT-2 Metal Zone?

2. How are the clean sounds, like delays and unique reverbs in the Line 6 Pod X3 Live?

3. Is the Line 6 M13 significantly better than the previous two in terms of sound quality? I realize I will not be able to record with this one.

4. How is the T.C. Electronic Nova System in terms of use for live applications? Also, how are its higher gain tones?

5. When using a MultiFX unit as a preamp, is it possible to also use the preamp of my Egnater? For example, could I use a dirty signal from my Egnater and boost it with the MFX via the effects loop connection?

Answers to any of these questions are appreciated. Also, when I say high gain, I mean thrash metal. I don't need anything heavier than that.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
1) you can't exactly compare the gain between these two. One is a multi-fx while the other is just a single pedal. However, seeing that the Boss GT-10 has built in graphic EQ and emulated line outs, you definitely will be able to shape your high gain playing with it better.

2) No comments about the pod X3 live. i have only owned the Boss GT-10. I do know that the Boss GT-10 allows you to customize your tone more though.

5) yes you can. it won't hurt the amp. just make sure you set the multi-fx unit right. make sure the output is set to "amp" or something like that.

now we got that settled! i must ask: do you really need a full-fledged multi-fx like the boss gt-10? i'm very sure you could get trash metal tones with just your amp's distortion and maybe an OD pedal to boost it.

running something like that GT-10 into an All-Tube amp will be difficult. not to mention a real waste of money.

If you want modulations, you should get stuff like the T.C electronics G natural. or even individual pedals.

i just feel that a Multi-FX run into a really good amp of that class like the Rebel30 is a waste.
Last edited by sharp__edge at Nov 27, 2009,
So it wouldn't be a good idea to run a MFX into the amp? What if I got the Nova System or the M13 and used it like a group of stomp boxes? The other thing is that, since I'd like to record guitar tracks, I wanted to buy a MFX for direct recording. Would it be advisable, and worth it, to spend the extra $200 or so on a recording interface since my amp has a direct XLR out?
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Nova system vs M13 I would take the M13, much more bang for the buck if u know what i mean IMO. For TC Electronics go with the G-system if u can save that much.

A recording interface depends on what u will buy (the 24 bit, good quality build are generally worth it). Check out the Presonus ones. Amazing signal quality.
When I really thought about it, I decided that I will only use the following effects:

Dist/OD
Chorus
Delay
Flanger
Wah
Phaser
Reverb

My amp has decent reverb, a good chorus is like $100, I would like a very tweakable flanger, I can get a nice delay for $100, I have a Wah, I have a phaser, and I would like a really nice OD/Dist box. So for $500 total, assuming the OD I buy is $200, I can get all the FX I want. Maybe it's not worth it to buy a multifx.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30