i am the proud player of a upright bass, which i mic and play for jazz. I'm looking for an amp to hook it up to, without feedback, and loud enough to play over/with a drumset, a few guitars, and 10 or so brass players
thanks!
I'd imagine an electric bass amp would work quite well for that purpose.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Double bass through electric bass amps can sound weird, depending on the amp. Try 'em out and see if you like the sound. Personally I've never heard a bass amp that I think works very well with double bass, but I haven't tried that many either, and you're tastes are likely to be different from mine!

There are dedicated double bass amps, although I've never seen any cheap ones. Another option is to use a pickup run through a clean preamp into an active speaker cab, or a poweramp to a passive speaker. Or you could use a more transparent amp such as a PA or keyboard amp.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Nov 27, 2009,
Decent keyboard amps with decent speakers have good bass response, and are very clear with minimal tone shaping in the amp: they're designed for use with electric keyboards, which produce their own sound, so the amp really is just for amplification and what you get out is closer to the sound of what you put in. So when you run a double bass through one it still sounds like a double bass, for the most part.

I've always had good results using keyboard amps for double bass, but I wouldn't say it's the best option. Try some stuff out.
Quote by XxLloydxX
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Nov 28, 2009,
Sorry, I've never actually tried a dedicated double bass amp! I've tried every other method but that. I can't imagine any are bad though, as they're made for a discerning audience.
Quote by XxLloydxX
Ok, Thanks. I know of quite a few dedicated amps, they jsut tend to be quite expensive and i was wondering if i was missing something.
To use a power amp and a speaker, what wattage amp would i need? And then could i run it through a bass speaker cab?
Quote by superninjapanda
To use a power amp and a speaker, what wattage amp would i need? And then could i run it through a bass speaker cab?

Whatever you want; I would venture to guess that you're after headroom, so the sky's the limit. As to a bass speaker cab, yes, I don't know if they have tone shaping in them though. Just make sure that whatever wattage amplifier you get, you get speakers that have power handling of at least 125% of the wattage of your amp, and that the ohm value on your speaker cab is either the same as the impedance on your amp or larger (4ohm amp + 8ohm cab = good to go, but 8ohm amp and 4ohm cab = fire).
Can i just plug my mic right into the poweramp? Its made so it can be plugged right into and amp/amp head, so i don't need any extra pre-amp or anything right?
Quote by superninjapanda
Can i just plug my mic right into the poweramp? Its made so it can be plugged right into and amp/amp head, so i don't need any extra pre-amp or anything right?

If it's made to plug into an amp, then you would need a preamp. Amps contain a preamp and a poweramp. What mic/pickup are you using?
Quote by XxLloydxX
It's an AMT bass amp, (http://www.appliedmic.com/details.asp?ID=16, i believe its that one, I don't know for sure as i got it used, but they only list two string bass mics and mine is definatly not the second). It does have a battery powered preamp, is that enough? If not, what kind of preamp would i need so that it stays nice and clean without any feedback? And would it be cheaper to just get a combined head? Thanks
If it has a preamp, running it straight into a poweramp should be fine. You might want a more informed opinion on that though, as I'm no expert at that stuff.
Quote by XxLloydxX
Quote by superninjapanda
do u think a keyboard amp would really work well?

yes, and i think that is the best option.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
yes, and i think that is the best option.

more so than just a straight poweramp to cab?
Quote by superninjapanda
more so than just a straight poweramp to cab?

Most likely.
Though the poweramp idea would work though right? Cuz then i could replace it with a nice bass amp head when i get the money, like maybe something from Accoustic Image, and use the same cab.
Quote by superninjapanda
Though the poweramp idea would work though right? Cuz then i could replace it with a nice bass amp head when i get the money, like maybe something from Accoustic Image, and use the same cab.

It will probably work, depending on if your pickup has an actual preamp in it or not.
Quote by imicius
It will probably work, depending on if your pickup has an actual preamp in it or not.

It definatly does, Y else would it need a battery?
Quote by superninjapanda
It definatly does, Y else would it need a battery?

Well quite honestly, I don't know what the difference in active pickups (what you are using to get signal from your double bass) and an amplifier's preamp circuitry, or if there is even a difference.
Its not a pickup, its a mic, and every discription I've seen of it discribes it having a "floor preamp with XLR output". So I think thats enough....