My Carvin Legacy began to make a really loud humming noise when one of the tubes blew out, so I replaced the tubes , and it is still humming pretty loudly. Can someone tell me what's going on? It originally (when the tubes were working normally before the one tube went out) did not hum this loudly. The tone is not affected at all by the humming, it is just a very loud, annoying hum that continues for quite awhile until it seems the amp "warms up" after about 30 min. or so.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
Which tube blew out and did you replace all of your tubes when one blew?
Make sure you biased it perfectly, it could cause it.

I blew a tube in my amp a while back (fire and all =P) and after I got it back from the tech it hummed pretty bad, pretty sure now it's because I took the power/output transformers with the tube.

Hopefully you didn't do that though, cause this is gonna cost me a fortune.

Could also be a filter cap that took a little stress when the tube blew.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Did you replace all the tubes? And did you bias the amp to match?
"I don't give a f*** if you boo, just boo in key"-Jimi Hendrix

SS

Gear:
Mesa Single Rectifier Solo head 50
Some crappy old cab
Vox Satchurator
Frontman 15G
Epiphone G-400
I did not replace all the tubes. The tube on the far left blew so I put the new one in with the one on the far right because I believe I read somewhere that on the Carvin legacy it has the 2 outer go together and the 2 inner go together versus 2 left vs. 2 right tubes - if you know what i mean. Did I misread maybe?
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
Quote by madmike17
Did you replace all the tubes? And did you bias the amp to match?

there is a bias switch on the back that is set to the EL 34 notch which the tubes in it are el34's so......
My Gear:
If there's 4 tubes, you'll always need a matched quad or your values will be ****ed, I tried replacing my tubes with a slightly mismatched quad (thanks JJ -_-) and they just redplated because the bias was being a bitch.

Go buy a matched quad.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by SGmaniac1021
I did not replace all the tubes. The tube on the far left blew so I put the new one in with the one on the far right because I believe I read somewhere that on the Carvin legacy it has the 2 outer go together and the 2 inner go together versus 2 left vs. 2 right tubes - if you know what i mean. Did I misread maybe?

I don't know if all amplifiers use this configuration, but typically the matched pairs run X O O X, so you probably did replace the correct tube. You may be getting noise is your new tubes are different from your old tubes. It may also be caused by a different tube that has now gone out.
ok thanks guys. I guess the next step would be to buy 2 new tubes and replace the old ones that seem to be working, but acting up
My Gear:
Quote by SGmaniac1021
ok thanks guys. I guess the next step would be to buy 2 new tubes and replace the old ones that seem to be working, but acting up

If you can return the newer tubes and get a matched quad, that would be ideal.

It is just as likely that your preamp tube(s) is/are going and need to be replaced.
Quote by SGmaniac1021
there is a bias switch on the back that is set to the EL 34 notch which the tubes in it are el34's so......

Don't trust them, if there's a bias pot in the amp, use that. You'll get a wayyy better tone and your tubes will last longer if you bias it properly.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo