I have called upon the combined knowledge of the student community of the pit, don't fail me now guys.

So heres the deal, when i started at uni i was travelling from home because i thought the journey won't be that big a deal, but it was a pain, long story short, i applied for living in the halls, they called me for a viewing today, i signed all the crap they give you, got the keys and i am moving in next week, it is a single person room with an en suite bathroom, the kitchen is shared between a few people (not entirely sure how many yet). Here are my questions:

1-What sort of things should i bring? Some things i am not too sure on like cutlary and pots and pans, i'm gonna get whatever i need over the weekend.

2-How easy (or hard) would it be for me to make friends, considering i have moved in about a month or so after the uni started (i know this all depends on the type of people i am with, but just a rough idea).

3-In terms of the fridge and freezer, do we have to buy our own milk and butter (basically things that other people can use) or is there some sort of rota in terms of who buys that sort of thing, either way i'm fine with it, i just don't want to go in and end up making a cup of tea with someone elses milk.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Last edited by donender at Nov 27, 2009,
Well, I'm no university expert, I'm not even old enough to go to one. But just purely based on logic, I think the most reasonable thing would be to simply ask one of the people using the kitchen.

Of course, bringing some pans and pots, and perhaps a carton or two of milk wouldn't hurt either just in case

S t a i r s s r i a t S

1-It depends on the place really, can't you find a list of things the halls provide? My uni provided some pots and pans, no cutlery though. If you've no way of finding out then definitely bring what you think you'll need.

2-I assume you're first year, it shouldn't be too difficult. If you're living with/sharing a kitchen with them then I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to get to know them. Depends on the people really.

3-It'll depend on the people again, they might have their own system of sharing but do buy your own things unless they suggest differently. In my place we generally get our own stuff.
Quote by MushroomBomb
Well, I'm no university expert, I'm not even old enough to go to one. But just purely based on logic, I think the most reasonable thing would be to simply ask one of the people using the kitchen.

Of course, bringing some pans and pots, and perhaps a carton or two of milk wouldn't hurt either just in case

Well, i would have asked today, but i didn't actually get to meet anyone in the same little block as me, i didn't pass anyone in the halls.
WHOMP

Quote by donender

1-What sort of things should i bring? Some things i am not too sure on like cutlary and pots and pans, i'm gonna get whatever i need over the weekend.

2-How easy (or hard) would it be for me to make friends, considering i have moved in about a month or so after the uni started (i know this all depends on the type of people i am with, but just a rough idea).

3-In terms of the fridge and freezer, do we have to buy our own milk and butter (basically things that other people can use) or is there some sort of rota in terms of who buys that sort of thing, either way i'm fine with it, i just don't want to go in and end up making a cup of tea with someone elses milk.

1. Anything you're uncomfortable going without, make sure you have, either by bringing it or by asking your new suitemates whether they have it.

2. That depends entirely on the people in the hall. My freshman year of uni I was part of a floor that ended up infamous because we formed such a community we ended up having boxing matches, floor-wide LAN parties, and the Walker 12 Chair Slam, which is about as healthy as it sounds Meanwhile, my friend's wing never spoke to each other, ever.

3. That'll be something you arrange with your suitemates, but I'd suggest stocking your own mini-fridge.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Do you have a meal plan? If so, 1 and 3 are pretty much unnecessary. I live in a dorm and I have a meal plan so I eat all my meals at one of the dining locations on campus. I only ever use my microwave and mini-fridge if I don't remember to eat before they all close for the night, and then I can just go to one of the convenience stores (also on campus) and get something to microwave.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
You aren't going to do well at uni....

Explain?

Quote by aaronni
1-It depends on the place really, can't you find a list of things the halls provide? My uni provided some pots and pans, no cutlery though. If you've no way of finding out then definitely bring what you think you'll need.

2-I assume you're first year, it shouldn't be too difficult. If you're living with/sharing a kitchen with them then I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to get to know them. Depends on the people really.

3-It'll depend on the people again, they might have their own system of sharing but do buy your own things unless they suggest differently. In my place we generally get our own stuff.

1-Well, i checked the website but i think they take all the new residents info off after freshers week.

2-Yeah i am sort of shy but try and get on well with people, then once i have figured them out and found a few things in common with them it goes uphill from there.

3-I'll ask them when i get there, first day in i might get some pizza or something to save taking all the pots and pans and stuff with me, then go into town and pick up whatever i need the next day or something.
WHOMP

Last edited by donender at Nov 27, 2009,
Quote by donender

1-What sort of things should i bring?

A rubber, a key chain, a treasure map, and a book documenting things Nicolas Cage has said that nobody will care about, ever.

2-How easy (or hard) would it be for me

That's what she said.

Secret rule of shared residence, it doesn't actually matter who buys it, once you piss on it it instantly becomes yours.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by donender
I have called upon the combined knowledge of the student community of the pit, don't fail me now guys.

So heres the deal, when i started at uni i was travelling from home because i thought the journey won't be that big a deal, but it was a pain, long story short, i applied for living in the halls, they called me for a viewing today, i signed all the crap they give you, got the keys and i am moving in next week, it is a single person room with an en suite bathroom, the kitchen is shared between a few people (not entirely sure how many yet). Here are my questions:

I lived in halls last year with about 5 people and live in a house this year with 9 others.

1. This year I didn't have to bring any of that stuff as the house has been used for decades and people have left enough cutlery behind in that time to supply us.
However last year I just brought up a pot, plate, bowl etc, and then added to that as I went along where necessary.

2. If your housemates are decent people you shouldn't have any trouble making friends with them, even at this stage. We had to find a new tenant a month or so in and we all get on really well with him now.
Bear in mind though that, at the start at least, your housemates are your housemates, not your friends.

3. Last year we bought out own stuff. This year we have a rota because there's so many of us. it'll depend on what everyone decides.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by donender

Ask the other people first then.

Quote by donender

Making friends at uni is easy. Don't stress man

Quote by donender

Yeah, that depends on whether you live with Nazis or Communists aha. I would, for the first week bring my own stuff and then wait and see if they inform you of some communal system after that.
Quote by bassboy 999
Ask the other people first then.

Making friends at uni is easy. Don't stress man

Yeah, that depends on whether you live with Nazis or Communists aha. I would, for the first week bring my own stuff and then wait and see if they inform you of some communal system after that.

Yeah as i said, i'm gonna get some groceries on Tuesday, then try and establish the system of things, i am getting the impression that there is no set way and it differs from uni to uni, building to building, etc.
WHOMP

Quote by ClaptonWannabe
You aren't going to do well at uni....

lol this

You sound a bit timid.
Uni halls are not about pots and pans and clean underwear.
Get used to living like a tramp.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by GaijinFoot
lol this

You sound a bit timid.
Uni halls are not about pots and pans and clean underwear.
Get used to living like a tramp.

As i said, i am a little shy haha, but once i sort of break the barrier i settle down nicely, and i'm not really neurotic about these things, just wanted to know what sort of things i should take with me so that i don't become unstuck.
WHOMP

You can never bring too much. My brother moved into halls a few months ago and he was given the bare minimum. I few VERY old cups and 3 plates.
hello
Quote by donender
As i said, i am a little shy haha, but once i sort of break the barrier i settle down nicely, and i'm not really neurotic about these things, just wanted to know what sort of things i should take with me so that i don't become unstuck.

You'll be ok man.
the place will have a vibe that you'll settle into.
Just bring things that you wouldn't want to share. Cutlery, towels, underwear etc.
Whatever you didn't bring just pick up from a £1/$1 shop
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by donender

Useless questions. It all depends on who you're living with.
All I can say is- there are NO rules, and it's only as hard as you make it.
Quote by the1
Useless questions. It all depends on who you're living with.
All I can say is- there are NO rules, and it's only as hard as you make it.

Sweet, well i haven't spoken much to people in my lectures mainly because i felt as though there would be the big question as to why i am not there, but next few lectures i have, i will try to speak to people about living there and stuff, and i will try to hit the ground running in terms of talking the the folks living with me.
WHOMP