Hi forum,

I was wondering which I should ask for for Christmas.

The Boss DS-2:

or the Boss OS-2:

I have an Overdrive pedal that is falling apart, and a Boss DS-1. I like my DS-1 but it doesn't have a lot of tone with it, and not a lot of controls. I have already tried out the OS-2 at my local music store and it was pretty cool, but I haven't tried out the DS-2.

I'm leaning towards the OS-2 because it has overdrive with Distortion, but does anyone have it and if you do, could you tell me how you like it?

Thanks, and have a Merry Christmas,
Matt
Just awesome.
Sorryz for me bad engrish.

Quote by OnlyIbanez12
I just cut myself shaving my pubes...
I'd say the OS-2. Never was that much of a fan of boss distortions, but their overdrives are really nice.
I ahve the OS-2, it's a pretty nice pedal, fairly versatile. But you need to try them both first. Try to use a similar guitar and amp to what you have and just see which one you think sounds better.
  • Fender American Standard Stratocaster
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
Quote by kLinic
I ahve the OS-2, it's a pretty nice pedal, fairly versatile. But you need to try them both first. Try to use a similar guitar and amp to what you have and just see which one you think sounds better.

Everyone here has said the OS-2. I do like it. I tried it on a Peavey Vypyr 15, which is what I have, and a 2 humbucker guitar, and it sounded fine. I will try the DS-2 if I can though. Thanks man.
you have a modelling amp....why do you need an od pedal?
Those are meant to add drive the tube saturation that's take place
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
i didn't care for the sound of the os-2 with humbuckers it sounded alot better with single coil pickups imo
And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
Quote by lostjesse
i didn't care for the sound of the os-2 with humbuckers it sounded alot better with single coil pickups imo

I have a strat too.

I'm using a modeling amp but not for Distortion and Overdrive because the Peavey overdrive sucks, and it doesn't have Distortion. It does have a nice amp model, but it's lacking tone.
Quote by DisasterMatt
I have a strat too.

I'm using a modeling amp but not for Distortion and Overdrive because the Peavey overdrive sucks, and it doesn't have Distortion. It does have a nice amp model, but it's lacking tone.

Of course it has distortion, what are you smoking?

Overdrive and distortion are the same thing except overdrive usually refers to a softer overdrive as if you cranked a tube amp.

If you want tonal improvement then save up for a new amp, a pedal won't do anything on a Vypyr.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22
Of course it has distortion, what are you smoking?

Overdrive and distortion are the same thing except overdrive usually refers to a softer overdrive as if you cranked a tube amp.

If you want tonal improvement then save up for a new amp, a pedal won't do anything on a Vypyr.

+1

Generes? We can help with amp choices, pedal + modelling amp usually sounds like rats having anal.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by westdyolf
+1

Generes? We can help with amp choices, pedal + modelling amp usually sounds like rats having anal.

Not the vypyr with the B-Kat amp model. Nice disturbing image by the way.

Like I said, it does have a distortion amp tone, but it's not working for me. Plus I play songs where you have to switch between distortion and clean fast, that's why I want a pedal.

I tried out the OS-2 again today, and I love that frickin' thing. The store doesn't carry the DS-2. I've pretty much made my decision for the OS-2, because you can go from overdrive to distortion (clean to muddy). I tried it on my amp with a similar guitar and the B-Kat and British amps on the Vypyr. It's amazing.

Unless somebody tells me something super-amazing about the DS-2, I'm pretty much convinced what to ask for for Christmas.
Quote by The Chimney Man
If you like Red Hot Chili Pepper stuff, then go for the Boss DS-2. I know Frusciante uses it.

I do like RHCP but I'm more into stuff like Nirvana with some clean and a lot of dirty stuff. RHCP is mostly cleaner stuff than what I play.
Quote by DisasterMatt
I do like RHCP but I'm more into stuff like Nirvana with some clean and a lot of dirty stuff. RHCP is mostly cleaner stuff than what I play.

The DS-1 you have should give you the Nirvana sound you want, but if you want a bit more gain, then do go for the DS-2.

EDIT: Watch loads of demos on Youtube of the pedals, and if you can, try them in a store.

Out of those two pedals, I'd say definitely the DS-2.

If you go for it I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
Last edited by The Chimney Man at Nov 28, 2009,
Quote by The Chimney Man
The DS-1 you have should give you the Nirvana sound you want, but if you want a bit more gain, then do go for the DS-2.

EDIT: Watch loads of demos on Youtube of the pedals, and if you can, try them in a store.

Out of those two pedals, I'd say definitely the DS-2.

If you go for it I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

It does, but I want a more overdrive sound. Plus, the DS-1 doesn't have a lot of different controls. I'm making my own music too, which has kind of a Queens of the Stone Age sound to it.
you already have the ds-1 right? all the os-2 is is the ds-1 and the sd-1 in the same pedal and the colour knob lets you blend the two together the more you move it towards the center if you have the chance try out the sd-1 it may be cheaper then the os-2. but i'm not here to tell you what to get i liked the os-2 when i had it
And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
For $75 (not including shipping) you could get your DS-1 modded by Keeley; it would be an infinitely better pedal and far superior to any stock Boss pedal. If you've already got the pedal it's superb value for money.