So, with Christmas on the way, I'm planning on upgrading guitars, and I'd like a few sugestions if you all wouldn't mind.

Currently, I run a Gibson LP studio, and I want to change that for a couple reasons. No whammy/tremolo arm, while a relatively small detail, is something I don't like, and i'd like to have it, just for the added capability. Tone-wise, it's got a bit of a muddy sound (though whether that's the guitar or an intonation issue I'm not entirely sure, but anyway...).

I've taken a look at a few guitars, and the experiences were a bit varied. My top choice, thus far, is a prs custom 24. I had no complaints when I picked this one up, was absolutely awesome (which other prs's should I try?) But this was definitely a top-notch guitar.

A LP reissue goldtop seemed a bit clunky to me, just wasn't feeling it, and the oxblood one (forgot what signature that is) was a brick without the tone to support it. I do like the LP I have though. What would be a the equivalent of a LP studio but higher-end? (I love the neck width/speed and warmth.)

Strats I wasn't entirely feeling when I was testing them, the EJ signature wasn't giving me what I wanted. Now, my guitar teacher has one from I think 1982, or near there, with I believe alder and I absolutely love that one. Would any current models be similar to that one at all?

ibanezes were lackluster, but I'm not much of a shredder at all, so that's not especially shocking.

In general, I'm looking for a pretty broad range of tonal capability, I diversify styles considerably. Price isn't a massive issue, but I do have limits, heh, so keeping near the range of what i've discussed already is probably the most safe bet. ~$3500 tops?

I'm honestly looking for a guitar to last a lifetime, and I know you guys can understand that, haha.

Sorry for the wall of text!
Last edited by glemnar at Nov 27, 2009,
schecter maybe? i havent tried any but two of my favourite musicians use them
Guitars

Dean Soltero USA
Gibson 2014 Les Paul Jr.
Epiphone Prophecy SG (GX? Red with Dirty Fingers?)
For that budget you should just have a custom instrument built to your exact specs.That way you wouldn't have to worry about sacrificing anything.You could go to a company like Carvin and get an absolutely decked out custom guitar for that price.

Also,for the sake a gratuitous guitar Pr0nz:

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Problem about customs though is it's not as possible to test them as it is other guitars =/. I don't really want to drop 3 grand on a guitar and then find out it isn't living up to my expectations.

Also, one of my friends might disown me (with a knife or other sharp object) if I get a Carvin. What other good custom companies are there around? haha.

I mean, I've heard that the USA built PRSs are basically custom-shop quality in many ways. How true is that?
Last edited by glemnar at Nov 27, 2009,
Quote by glemnar
Problem about customs though is it's not as possible to test them as it is other guitars =/. I don't really want to drop 3 grand on a guitar and then find out it isn't living up to my expectations.

Also, one of my friends might disown me (with a knife or other sharp object) if I get a Carvin. What other good custom companies are there around? haha.

I mean, I've heard that the USA built PRSs are basically custom-shop quality in many ways. How true is that?

Carvin has a 10 day trial period on all custom shop guitars,so if you don't like it you can return it within 10 days of getting it for the full purchase price.If your friend disowns you then it wont matter,because Carvin builds some of the best instruments money can buy.

Now,IMO,PRS guitars are great quality instruments,but they're overpriced and lack a certain feel or characteristic that I like.I'd personally get a Carvin CT6 and put some boutique shiop pickups in it instead of a PRS to save money and get exactly what I want.

Other brands to look at are:

Suhr
EBMM BFR models
Tom Anderson
Schecter USA
Vigier
and the numerous other high end guitar manufacturers out there.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Yeah I would really start looking at a custom build with that sort of budget. You might want to go with a private luthier it's a lot more easier to talk specs in person rather then having to fill out a form just full of numbers and shit. That and you can show them what type of neck you want and hopefully they can re create it for you.
Would private custom builders be at a technological disadvantage from bigger companies? They seem to really like talking about their precision tooling systems, and to some degree that can be important I would guess, but I'm not really knowledgeable in guitar building.

Is there a thread anywhere on the forums that talks about custom-building companies? Or can anybody else recommend some others?
Quote by glemnar
Would private custom builders be at a technological disadvantage from bigger companies? They seem to really like talking about their precision tooling systems, and to some degree that can be important I would guess, but I'm not really knowledgeable in guitar building.

Is there a thread anywhere on the forums that talks about custom-building companies? Or can anybody else recommend some others?

Depends some companies will have a quicker turn around then many private builders (Seen ESP do one in 3-4 months for a full on custom which is amazingly quick but the usual is 9-12 months I believe vs. up to 2 years or more pending on how 'popular' the luthier is) but also to a certain extent private builders can usually give you a bit more freedom of choice.

I guess the general argument is private builder = cheaper and company custom shop = expensive which is absolutely ridiculous. But yeah since you're not really knowledgeable with guitar building maybe it might just be worth it to stick to a private reliable luthier until you have some more specs in mind and really know what you want.
I've recently bought a Suhr modern, and it's the best guitar I've ever played.
I've played Anderson drop tops, VOS 1959 Les Pauls, all sorts of PRS models, but wow. This thing is ridiculous. I'm not really a shredder either, so don't be put off by that.

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.