I am in need of a good amp for gigging under 500$, the less expensive the better, obviously. Lately I have been running my BC RICH Mockingbird Masterpiece through my Digitech RP250 and then directly through the system. It doesnt sound bad but it's not what I want, running it through the system makes the RP250 seem harsh and brittle. I am looking for something smooth that still has that molten sound yet creamy at the same time. Needless to say my current setup doesn't get what I want. I have been looking at a Behringer LX1200 and a Crate FW120. I am kinda leaning towards the half stack options which in my opinion have more versatality than combos. Any suggestions, crude,snide,demoralizing or otherwise rude remarks will be very much appreciated.
Halfstacks aren't anymore versatile than a combo.

I'd check out the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 if you want a modeling amp. It's great. Other than that, if you want full tube, you could splurge and go for the 6505+ combo for $599. Or check out the B-52 AT-112 for $359. I hear its good stuff.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
I would say a tube amp would be the best option for what i'm looking for sound-wise, but i want something i won't have mess with or do much maintanence to. Don't they have tube emulating amps without tubes?
Quote by Heagachongoose
I would say a tube amp would be the best option for what i'm looking for sound-wise, but i want something i won't have mess with or do much maintanence to. Don't they have tube emulating amps without tubes?

VOX VT series. Check them out.
Quote by Heagachongoose

They have solid state modellers, but they will NOT give you the ideal tube tone. There are many great tube amps you can get for 500 dollars, and even at low or high volume (example, Peavey Windsor is high!)
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Quote by Heagachongoose
Why the hell would you want to do that? When people talk about tube amp 'maintenance', they mean in the sense of a new set of power tubes every two or three years - there's no hard work involved!

Honestly, for $500 you could get a really decent secondhand tube combo, or a shitty, brand new solid-state halfstack. Only a fool would pick the latter.
I would personally go for a Peavey Tube Vypyr, or a Line 6 Flextone.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by kyle62
Why the hell would you want to do that? When people talk about tube amp 'maintenance', they mean in the sense of a new set of power tubes every two or three years - there's no hard work involved!

Honestly, for $500 you could get a really decent secondhand tube combo, or a shitty, brand new solid-state halfstack. Only a fool would pick the latter.

+1

A tube vypyr wouldn't be bad if you want versatility, but there is much better imo.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
What genres do you play? Any particular bands you want to emulate?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
http://cgi.ebay.com/MUSIC-MAN-GUITAR-AMPLIFIER-212-HD-130-WATTS_W0QQitemZ280427790572QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414acc80ec

http://instruments.shop.ebay.com/Guitar-Amplifiers-/38072/i.html?_nkw=music+man&_catref=1&_dmpt=Guitar&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

there is some more like the first link on the second. one is guarenteed to go for under 500 usd

http://instruments.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=fender+silverface&_sacat=38072&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=Guitar&_odkw=music+man&_osacat=38072

more there

if not combo's, though, i played metal for 6 year with a an explorer with an emg 81, a wah, a sansamp gt-2, into music man 212hd and a peavey 4x12 cab. it was badass tone... for metal anyway.

if not, then the cheapest you can go for quality is picking up some kinda head, and an avatar/HB cab, but it'll be over 500 for that for sure.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by TOMMYB22
What genres do you play? Any particular bands you want to emulate?

I mostly play heavy rock but every now and then I play more mellow stuff. Basically everything I play is hard core or crystal clean