How wise an idea is it to buy gear on finance? I'm thinking of getting something on the Take It Away scheme here in the UK which is interest free. But I'm only 18 and really don't want to add to the debt I'm already in thanks to Uni.

Anyone got any experience with it?

Thing is I need an amp by thursday because I've got a gig but no gear to play it with and no one I can borrow one from for the night.

Suggestions?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

the way i think of it is, if you're gonna have to pay some sum eventually, why not pay all of it right now? and if you can't pay for it on the spot, it's probably not a wonderful idea to pay for it at all. especially if it's not a necessity.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Nov 27, 2009,
Finance is a good idea if you can manage it. You just have to make regular payments so you don't get stung when the interest free period ends and they sting you with 25% pro rata
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
the way i think of it is, if you're gonna have to pay some sum eventually, why not pay all of it right now? and if you can't pay for it on the spot, it's probably not a wonderful idea to pay for it at all. especially if it's not a necessity.

Well.. it is a necessity really. I'm in a band with fairly regular gigs trying to impress the local radio and stuff for some plays on there. I'm going to be recording an EP in the new year as well. I pretty much need an amp.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
Well.. it is a necessity really. I'm in a band with fairly regular gigs trying to impress the local radio and stuff for some plays on there. I'm going to be recording an EP in the new year as well. I pretty much need an amp.

You have a JCM900 and you "need" a new amp? What exactly do you need one for?! Just get some pedals if you feel it's really necessary, but you seem to have a perfectly good amp. It's never a good idea to buy ANYTHING without knowing where the money to pay for it is. You can do a "Pay-monthly" thing if you know you'll have all the money next month, or in a few short months. Doing it and just assuming you'll pay it by the month until done is a terrible idea, since those sort of things stack up with similar purchases (Plus, they end up costing more than just waiting and buying on the spot would have)

Edit: Alright, that came off sounding pretty harsh, so I apologize. I didn't intend for that to sound like a character attack, and, being over the internet and not being able to hear how it sounded in my head, it probably did. I'm just trying to say that this doesn't seem like a wise idea to purchase like this. Just try to borrow a friend's amp for the gig. If you can't, no offense, but it's probably best to cancel. If you don't have the equipment or practice/whatever to do a gig, it's important not to book it. That said, I dunno if your JCM broke or something since you booked it, but yeah...
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Last edited by Phantom123 at Nov 27, 2009,