I'm gonna build a string-through-body Rhoads V soon and I'm using all nickel hardware. The problem is, I want a V plate for the strings to go through, but I can only find them in chrome, black, or gold.

Is there any way I can make a chrome plate look nickel, or at least match the nickel hardware better without distressing it?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
my only suggestion is to find/make one, and have someone (shop) coat it for you.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
I know a girl who's dating a metal worker, but he doesn't have coating stuff there.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Have any experience with nickel paint? They have some that might work for you...
I've used chrome spraypaint etc, to get that look before. Anything cheap will look cheap, but if you buy some really nice stuff, it should look decent.
I've never used nickel though, just gold+chrome
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Do you have a nickel plater in your area?

Like bobby said, you can make one yourself and take it to a nickel plater and get them to do it for you. The cost won't be too expensive because its only small.
I'm not sure if I do or not I also thought about just getting a black one and stripping it with paint thinner, which would be easier than making one for me (I'm lazy).

But where might I find a nickel plater? What areas of expertise should I look into? A sink repair shop? A jeweler?
Quote by metalwarrior40
Have any experience with nickel paint? They have some that might work for you...
I've used chrome spraypaint etc, to get that look before. Anything cheap will look cheap, but if you buy some really nice stuff, it should look decent.
I've never used nickel though, just gold+chrome

Would Krylon work? Or Rustoleum? What brand do you use, basically

Stupid name.

The most expsensive stuff at the store
No idea, I've used cheap, and i've used expensive. Expensive always wins.
Try the model car aisle in like micheals(craft store) or walmart, they have smaller cans of paint for this.
ALSO! Just had this idea because of that^ Try looking for testers nickel paint as well, it'll have to be done by hand (brush) unless they sell it in cans now. That stuff always looked good.

Basically, check the model car section at the nearest stores
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
I don't know how your going to go about painting it if you buy a chrome, black or gold one. Because as far as I know, you can paint over chrome and gold plating. The black is probably powder coated, so I don't think you'll be able to paint over that either.
Quote by guitarcam123
I don't know how your going to go about painting it if you buy a chrome, black or gold one. Because as far as I know, you can paint over chrome and gold plating. The black is probably powder coated, so I don't think you'll be able to paint over that either.

Quote by Shinozoku
I also thought about just getting a black one and stripping it

Quote by metalwarrior40
The most expsensive stuff at the store
No idea, I've used cheap, and i've used expensive. Expensive always wins.
Try the model car aisle in like micheals(craft store) or walmart, they have smaller cans of paint for this.
ALSO! Just had this idea because of that^ Try looking for testers nickel paint as well, it'll have to be done by hand (brush) unless they sell it in cans now. That stuff always looked good.

Basically, check the model car section at the nearest stores

Cool So would it work on bare metal? Cuz like I said, I plan on getting one that's already made (because I'd rather have one done right ) and stripping the coating off of it.
Quote by Jason43
Yes, paint wont stick to chrome. If you're really bent on this, strip the chrome with muriatic acid, or something similar and have it replated.

Well, I'll be getting a black one and stripping the powder coat off, since paint thinner does this quite effectively (or it did on the black corners of my amp. Might take a bit more soaking and sanding for the smoother powder coats)
Thanks for the suggestion though

Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Nov 29, 2009,
Quote by Shinozoku

Cool So would it work on bare metal? Cuz like I said, I plan on getting one that's already made (because I'd rather have one done right ) and stripping the coating off of it.

Yup, it's made for metal and plastic, look for testors, there the best that i know of.
I'd suggest clearing over it though.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Satin or gloss clear? Or semi? I don't have any of the hardware yet, so I would guess semi-gloss would be about right, or satin.

Stupid name.