I am an aspiring shredder but my picking is no where close, as far as speed and accuracy goes, to that of John Petrucci, Yngwie Malmsteen, Michael Angelo Batio . . . My neighbor tells me that the picks I have been using (Dunlop Tortex Standard .73 mm) are too big and floppy and he recommended Dunlop Jazz 3s. Will I never be able to pick fast with regular Dunlop Tortex picks? What do you recommend as far as playing fast goes? I use 9 gauge strings on my 25.5 inch neck if that has anything to do with it. My picking needs you!
You don't need jazz 3s...

Get higher gauge strings, and harder picks and practice alternate picking scales for speed.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
I used fender heavies and mediums.

I'm Gonna get some jazz 3s

>.>

<.<
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
picks are pure preference, but i'd recommend a thicker pick. Tortex standards are good, so are jazz 3s, i'd recommend trying both. I also find string gauge to be pure preference, I have no problem playing on .09 gauge strings.

EDIT: Also, if you want to play fast, get a metronome before you get anything else.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Well what kind of tuning do you use?
e = 9 or 10 gauge
d = 11 gauge
c = 12 gauge

that's my take on it, but it all comes down to personal preference. same goes for you picks.

MY advice, experiment. try it out and if it feels right, well there you go.
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
Last edited by RocknRollRay at Nov 27, 2009,
I really do think Jazz III's improved my playing.
Go for it, might take a bit of time to get used to but they're SO worth it.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Your pick doesn't define your playing. Paul Gilbert uses .60mm Tortex picks, others use Jazz 3's, still others use Big Stubbies.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I play Jazz III's, but I don't shred very hard or very often. Jazz III's really connect your fingers to the strings. They're incredibly responsive, if you can somehow imagine a pick as being responsive. My one complaint is that they are just no fun at all for playing rhythm. You end up dragging your hand all over the strings, and if you're hands get sweaty on stage (like mine do), it's only a matter of time before you throw a pick clear across the stage. Despite the raised logo, these picks are a mess once they get sweaty and greasy. This is not to say you can't play rhythm on Jazz III's (I do), just that it's more comfortable with bigger, softer picks.

Anyways, give them a shot, it can't hurt. Play with them for at least an hour or so before you come to a decision. They'll feel weird at first, but eventually you'll feel like you're trying to play with a tennis racket whenever you break out your old picks.
Quote by avery5150
Haha! Thanks, I'll just look for one of those.

He was joking...

Anyway, try out some Jazz IIIs, what have you got to lose?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
He was joking...

Anyway, try out some Jazz IIIs, what have you got to lose?

He was too... right? >_>

But yeah, try them out. I'm no shredder but I can play 'fast' with Dunlop Big Stubbies. Never tried Jazz IIIs though, but the EJ ones are intriguing.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I use .60mm Tortex picks, and I can shred and play whatever the hell I want.

picks don't make the player, but they can help you out when you find something your are very comfortable with
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I use everything, but I prefer the tone and dynamic of 0.6mm picks. I was using planet waves, then tortex, maybe I'm just attracted to the orange?

I can, however, play more articulately with a jazz III. Not as musically, but faster and more accurate.
Best thing to do is order up a job lot of different plectrum (plectri?) off the internet and see which one feels the best....easy

Thrench
Quote by rhcp_freak
He was too... right? >_>

But yeah, try them out. I'm no shredder but I can play 'fast' with Dunlop Big Stubbies. Never tried Jazz IIIs though, but the EJ ones are intriguing.

Oh, yeah, he probably was.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
You don't NEED Jazz IIIs, a lot of people find them good for shred, but I personally don't find them all that, however, recently I ordered 5 Ibanez Vai picks and 5 of the Paul Gilbert picks, just cos I'm a big fan and thought "why not?" turns out, the Paul Gilbert picks have improved my speed and precision by a shit ton!

I'd seriously suggest taking a look into the Paul Gilbert picks, they roughly even out to about £1 per pick, but they're worth it!
I can only play with 2mm or thicker. I can't necessarily shred, but I feel much more comfortable doing everything with 2mm.

Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

I am incapable of using anything but jazz 3's.
Quote by seeneyj
I thought the whole idea of post-hardcore was to mix techno and hardcore.....
i know an awesome shredder guitarist who uses big stubbies which is quite unexpected - you don't have to use a particular pick, just one that suits you best for that style of playing.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.