First of all I wanted to say hello! This is officially my first thread here! Ok so I started on my First Act (Blah!) acoustic guitar. It was originally my younger brothers but he quit so I got to use it. I have been playing vigorously for about a couple weeks now. I am learning on my own with a book. I am wanting to move on to electric. (I listen to a lot of rock) My parents said if i was serious about learning guitar i should ask for one for christmas. I really love guitar so I think I will. After playing Alto Saxaphone for 4 years :P My local music store pointed me towards the Squire Strat Pack This is my first guitar and I think it will be cool for learning and eventually I could move on. It's about 250 U.S dollars for the pack. What do you guys think any suggestions?
Set-Up
Squire Special Stratocaster
Bullet 150 AMP

*1st Guitar Set-Ups FTW*
^You should give the user that just posted some useful advice.
my friend has one of those, for a beginner the guitar is fine, but the amp is trash. If you could upgrade the amp that would be fine for a beginner.
Well the guitar isnt great but you can get by with it as a beginner. The amp is totally worthless though.
"I don't give a f*** if you boo, just boo in key"-Jimi Hendrix

SS

Gear:
Mesa Single Rectifier Solo head 50
Some crappy old cab
Vox Satchurator
Frontman 15G
Epiphone G-400
ya there decent. the guitar im using now, but the amp does need to be upgraded for sure. Its alright if your first learning, but if you start playing with a group you defitely need something better. good luck!
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
So I could just like get a better amp when I practice with a band? I doubt that will be anytime soon considering I am a beginner. So I could just keep the amp it comes with when I'm practicing by myself? What amp would you suggest that's in a reasonable price range? 100-200 dollars Bad price range I know
Set-Up
Bullet 150 AMP

*1st Guitar Set-Ups FTW*
Hi there and welcome to UG.

Shop around for guitar packs, online and in stores. Learning guitar on guitar packs is very hard because they're so cheap(I still have my washburn), but it's a good place to start.

The quality of the guitar does make a difference in how you play, but since you're barely starting, it's a good enough guitar to learn the basics with.

BTW there are lots of guitar packs out there, just pick one you like I guess.
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
I do not recommend the squire strat. It sounds crap and you get bored with it quickly. You should get a Yamaha Pacifica 012 as it is a much better beginner guitar. It cost slightly more but you will love it very much longer.
I own the squire affinity strat pack and the guitar is OK to begin with. It will play and make noise but the amp(Fender frontman 15) is just baaaaaad.
here

$0 - $150 (~£95, 110&euro

First off, you probably WON?T get an amazing amp at this price range. However, if you’e lucky you’l be able to get a decent practice amp that will suffice until you’e able to get a “real” amp.

Lower Gain

Vox Pathfinder* (1 channel with boost) (Euro, C): I have one of these. Nice (AC30ish) cleans, nice classic rock crunch, not so good higher gain- harsh, and no real sustain. It does a sort of Lenny Kravitz-esque sound with the gain above 2/3 like in "fly away" and "are you gonna go my way", if you're into that, very harsh and fuzzy. Good value.

High Gain

Roland Cube 15/20/Roland Microcube (1 channel) (USA, C): I recommend saving for the Cube 30, since the Cube 15 and 20 have no (or very few) amp models, but you could do a lot worse for the price. The Microcube would be good for strictly practice purposes (it’s only 2W), but has built-in fx and amp models- really good for practice. In most cases, the Microcube is therefore better than the Cube 15/20, as they all are not loud enough for e.g. band use, but the Microcube is best for home practice. In general, Cubes are also really compact (Thanks to jj1565 (Jenny) for this info)

Peavey Vypyr (USA, C): If you don’t have the cash for a Cube 30, but want amp modelling nevertheless, this is a good choice. Not so great for lower gain imo, but does metal well.

Washburn BD15 (according to gpderek09) (USA, C): Not great cleans, but for high gain on a (very cheap) budget, it rocks.

Ones to avoid:

Marshall MG (crappy cleans, worse overdrive, unreliable), Fender Front man (the 25R has nice cleans, but unreliable electronics, and muddy distortion), Behringer (poor quality), anything priced too low (all those no-name ones!). (again, thanks to Jenny for the Fender and Behringer info here!)

___
good luck
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
Quote by RocknRollRay
here

$0 - $150 (~£95, 110&euro

First off, you probably WON?T get an amazing amp at this price range. However, if you’e lucky you’l be able to get a decent practice amp that will suffice until you’e able to get a “real” amp.

Lower Gain

Vox Pathfinder* (1 channel with boost) (Euro, C): I have one of these. Nice (AC30ish) cleans, nice classic rock crunch, not so good higher gain- harsh, and no real sustain. It does a sort of Lenny Kravitz-esque sound with the gain above 2/3 like in "fly away" and "are you gonna go my way", if you're into that, very harsh and fuzzy. Good value.

High Gain

Roland Cube 15/20/Roland Microcube (1 channel) (USA, C): I recommend saving for the Cube 30, since the Cube 15 and 20 have no (or very few) amp models, but you could do a lot worse for the price. The Microcube would be good for strictly practice purposes (it’s only 2W), but has built-in fx and amp models- really good for practice. In most cases, the Microcube is therefore better than the Cube 15/20, as they all are not loud enough for e.g. band use, but the Microcube is best for home practice. In general, Cubes are also really compact (Thanks to jj1565 (Jenny) for this info)

Peavey Vypyr (USA, C): If you don’t have the cash for a Cube 30, but want amp modelling nevertheless, this is a good choice. Not so great for lower gain imo, but does metal well.

Washburn BD15 (according to gpderek09) (USA, C): Not great cleans, but for high gain on a (very cheap) budget, it rocks.

Ones to avoid:

Marshall MG (crappy cleans, worse overdrive, unreliable), Fender Front man (the 25R has nice cleans, but unreliable electronics, and muddy distortion), Behringer (poor quality), anything priced too low (all those no-name ones!). (again, thanks to Jenny for the Fender and Behringer info here!)

___
good luck

Thanks!
Set-Up
Bullet 150 AMP

*1st Guitar Set-Ups FTW*
Go for it. I started out on it, and the guitar is pretty good actually (although it will vary guitar to guitar, but most are decent or better), and the amp will be fine for practice until you want to be in a band.
My advice to you is to take the money you are going to spend on new gear and find used stuff that is higher quality (or at least try and find the same guitar you were going to buy, but used so you will have money left over) Take a friend or family member who plays guitar along so that they can check out the gear and make sure it is in good shape. You mentioned you have 250 USD to spend; I bought my main guitar last year for $230 canadian, it was in mint condition and it is a guitar that sold for $1200 in 1989. IMO you get ripped off buying new gear from guitar stores (although I don't know what guitar center is like because we don't have them here)
Last edited by MLilienthal at Nov 27, 2009,
Ignore the Squier pack. The guitar is ok, but the amp is complete ****. You generally want a better amp IMO when you're a beginner, as the amp makes up most of your tone.

Amp:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482908

Versatile, and will help you decide on what genre you are going to pursue if you continue guitar.

Guitar:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-PAC112J-Electric-Guitar?sku=511077

Again, versatile, and will help you decide on what genre you are going to pursue. The PAC112J is the standard for beginner guitars IMO.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Nov 27, 2009,