hey guys. im amp shopping and im looking at some fenders and a vox ac30 but i want to see what everyone on here thinks. i have a strat and i want a guitar that can do some hard/alternative rock but also can clean up pretty nice for stuff like jazz.. any suggestions??
The AC30 would be good for that. The fenders I think would do those styles well would be the twin/super/deluxe reverb reissue family with a pedal. The hot rod series is ok but the distortion is probably not what you want for those genres. Another option might be the fender super sonic, that would certainly cover the range you want.

You can also look into mesas, I don't know exactly what your budget is but you should be able to pick something like a Mark III combo up used for about as much as an AC30.
Quote by kyle62
Neither of the choices you mentioned sounds great for hard rock - you want to be looking at Marshall-derived amps or Boogies, depending on personal taste.

Have you heard the Super Sonic?
1999 Fender '69 Thinline Telecaster Reissue
Ibanez TS-9
Vox AC4TV

Last.fm
I second the Super Sonic, wonderful amp. One of the few Fenders that works well for most styles. Another option is the Mesa Heartbreaker, one of my favorite amps of all time.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
I second the Super Sonic, wonderful amp. One of the few Fenders that works well for most styles. Another option is the Mesa Heartbreaker, one of my favorite amps of all time.

+1

There are a few Mesa's that could do what you want. Maybe troll ebay for a Rectoverb or a F/DC series amp.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...