I have a Peavey Valveking (VK212) and don't really use it too much. When I do the clean and gain are on no more than 1 / 10 on the volume scale. I have never had it cranked.

A couple of days ago I turned it on to play for a while but when I selected gain it simply didn't have the gain it once had. It was a very slight gain and not crunchy/metal sounding at all (like it always used to be).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Almost definitely a preamp tube. Did you try different guitar through the amp?
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Yeah, I tried a couple of guitars through it with no luck and tried all of the knobs! I would say I play once every week or so, not very often. It is certainly not overuse...

If it is the preamp tube what's the fix... and the cost?

Thanks guys/gals...
Switch your preamp tubes around, one at a time. You have three, so swap the first one and the second one, then put them back. Then swap 1 and 3, and then put them back, then swap 2 and 3, and put them back. Any change in your sound during one of these swaps should tell you if its a preamp tube, and which one.

Use a process of elimination.

Swaps like this:

If swapping 1 and 2 = Change in amp's condition - then - swap 1 and 3 to find out if it's preamp tube 1 or 2. No change means it's tube 2. Another change means it's tube 1.

If swapping 1 and 2 = No Change - then it's tube 3. Swap tube 3 with tubes 1 or 2 to confirm.

By the way. DONT DO THIS WHILE THE AMP IS ON!!!!

It should be powered down and preferably unplugged (although not entirely necessary) before you start pulling tubes. Do this each time you swap.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Nov 27, 2009,
They're the metal-cased tubes right? I've never played with tubes before... I can't screw up right? There's three of 'em.

I'll give it a try...
I can only get one tube out. The two closest to the back are lower down and I can't get a grip of them to pull them out. I guess I'll have to take it to a shop. Any idea of the cost for a preamp tube? Should I get three new ones?

Thanks!
If you get new preamp tubes they are only like 10-15 bucks each depending on what you get, whatever you do, don't let a tech put them in. There's nothig like, in fact its easier than changing a lightbulb.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Yeah, you'd think so but these buggers are pretty low down and I can't get a grip to pull them out. Would you get three new ones or just figure out which one is the problem and replace that? At $10-15 I'd be tempted to replace them all...