I am getting back into guitar after a few years off. I’ll be playing a lot of metal, including Type O Negative, so I’ll be tuning as low as a perfect fourth down. I don’t have cash for a collection of guitars, so it seems like I’ll do best tuning down and using a capo to step up. I really like the tone of baritones, and since I want to get the Type O sound anyway, does it make sense to just get a baritone?
Also, this will be my second guitar—I have a Strat that I want to keep in concert tuning for non-metal.
For B standard, I'd go for a baritone or a 7 string - which is basically a guitar in B standard with a high E added.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
For B standard, I'd go for a baritone or a 7 string - which is basically a guitar in B standard with a high E added.
+1
I'd say go for a 7,because it gives you the ability to have the tuning you want AND an extra string to incorporate into your playing,which is always fun.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by NY_FootBall49
What exactly is a baritone.

A guitar with an extended scale that allows the player to tune the guitar to low tunings without losing string tension like they would on a standard scale guitar.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

go with a baritone, you can capo up to higher tunings as needed
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
yay another Type O Negative fan lol id say go baritone all the way.
1. u can tune alot deeper than a seven string
2. easier to accommodate to. (unless your a midget)

only other idea than a 7string or baritone is play how i play. Using 14-72 gauges. i can tune over an entire octave lower with a 25.5 guitar
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Nov 27, 2009,
Quote by Deadlock Riff
yay another Type O Negative fan lol id say go baritone all the way.
1. u can tune alot deeper than a seven string
2. easier to accommodate to. (unless your a midget)

only other idea than a 7string or baritone is play how i play. Using 14-72 gauges. i can tune over an entire octave lower with a 25.5 guitar

You sure about that?

a 27" scale seven string could go to F# standard with the right strings, though at that point I'd just go for an 8.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Originally posted by Oneblackened
You sure about that?

In no negative manner the measured note i have reached without floppy strings is an octave and 4 steps.

by the way im still to this very day trying to find out why!!

but yea at that point a 8 string would be worth looking into.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Nov 28, 2009,