So I'm going to be getting a new guitar.

I'm thinking either an epi LP standard, or epi LP studio.

First of all, what's the difference between the two, if any?

Second, one of them should be able to pull off punk/alt rock like afi [new and old] and stuff like that, right?

If not I have $450, please recommend something that can.

Thanks.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Well Jade Puget of AFI plays a LP studio. a Gibson but a LP studio nontheless

i played a studio before and its better than the standard because
1.lighter (due to empty cavities on the inside)
2.warmer tone
3. and for some reason its more comfortable
I could not disagree more deadlock riff. Sorry. It's a fact that more there's more wood quality features and quality control on the Standard. It's just an all around higher class guitar. And most studios do not have cavities on the inside. They weigh slightly less because of less finish and cheaper wood (no maple top).
UG's Prodigal Son
Quote by lunaticfringe93
I could not disagree more deadlock riff. Sorry. It's a fact that more there's more wood quality features and quality control on the Standard. It's just an all around higher class guitar. And most studios do not have cavities on the inside. They weigh slightly less because of less finish and cheaper wood (no maple top).

This man speaks the truth.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

lol you know your talking to a person who owns an epi lp studio and rips apart guitars (FOR FUN) on a daily basis.

it could also be that we have seen to different models of the epi lp studio u kno. it is possible
Lets not argue. Just recommend me a specific model of both a studio, and a standard, and I'll try them, and see which one best fits my taste.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Quote by Deadlock Riff
lol you know your talking to a person who owns an epi lp studio and rips apart guitars (FOR FUN) on a daily basis.

it could also be that we have seen to different models of the epi lp studio u kno. it is possible

Theres only one model of studio....and i dont see how owning one and taking guitars apart has any impact on the fact the the standard has higher quality wood

on topic i have the standard and you can easily play AFI
Hold on I don't wanna start a flame war or step on anybody's toes, but all of the things I said are facts. Gibson markets studio guitars as a lower quality lower price alternative to the standard series. I'm sorry but I believe you might be mistaken.

EDIT: What are you doing amp-wise sublime dude
UG's Prodigal Son
Last edited by lunaticfringe93 at Nov 28, 2009,
****in hell we're getting off topic. This wont add inches to any of our dicks, so please just recommend me a few models to try,

Last edited by Sublime_Dude at Nov 28, 2009,
i was just saying that phoenix crush that ive ripped open the body of a studio and it in fact does have hollowed out sections within it.
Quote by Sublime_Dude
Alright then i assume there are different models of standard? lets narrow it down then.

I'm pretty sure there's only one model.
All electric guitars have hollowed out parts to put electronics and such, but an epiphone les paul studio (there's the regular studio and the goth studio) neither of them have a chambered body for relieved weight or tone.

However for AFI the Goth studio might fit your needs better, if you get a chance try them out. A guitar is a personal choice, its all about what fits YOU the best.
UG's Prodigal Son
Okay. Thank you all very much. First of all, I've got a marshall tube combo [not sure of the exact model or anything right now], and second, what if I cant try the goth studio?

Because last time i was at the local GC, they didnt have any there.

Quote by Sublime_Dude
Okay. Thank you all very much. First of all, I've got a marshall tube combo [not sure of the exact model or anything right now], and second, what if I cant try the goth studio?

Because last time i was at the local GC, they didnt have any there.

Do you have a real marshall tube amp or a Marshall MG? You might want to check because its a HUGE difference, that you might want to take into consideration. If you can't try out a goth studio, check out the studio and the standard, see which fits you more, you may decide you personally like the studio more, that's fine. You can probably ask someone working there about the goth model (I'm not sure if they still make that series anymore). If you're really convinced the goth model has what you need you can take a leap of faith and buy one online.
UG's Prodigal Son
No, it is not an MG lol believe me I had one when i first started playing, I wouldnt mistake that haha.

Okay, that sounds like a good idea I suppose. Can you tell me, though, what the difference is between a regular studio and a goth studio, though?

Quote by Sublime_Dude
No, it is not an MG lol believe me I had one when i first started playing, I wouldnt mistake that haha.

Okay, that sounds like a good idea I suppose. Can you tell me, though, what the difference is between a regular studio and a goth studio, though?

Most of the goth studio's obvious differences are in the looks (pretty much all black with some funky inlays I believe) but, it has different pickups in it (EMG HZs or selects I think, anyone care to confirm) and the neck might be shaped differently.

EDIT: Just checked, I was wrong, the studio has the same pickups, and I'm pretty sure it just looks different, my mistake.

If you become dissatisfied with the tone you're looking for in whichever you choose (I say the standard), you can change the pickups for a different tone later on down the line.
UG's Prodigal Son
Last edited by lunaticfringe93 at Nov 28, 2009,
Epi Goths have open coil Epiphone Alnico Classics, the same pickups they use on everything else.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Okay, so a standard could still d AFI and stuff like that, though, or not?

I dont really like the looks of the Goth, so if its the same technically, then I'd rather just get one with a finish i like.

Yeah, you shouldn't have trouble doing AFI stuff with the regular studio or the standard. I'd still try both out if I were you.

And I agree with you the goth one is ugly as shit
UG's Prodigal Son
Okay, great. Thanks everyone for your help and advice.