I recently purchased a Marshall MGHDFX 100 watt amp, but it doesn't really put out as far as distortion goes. I'm in a heavy metal band, and i was trying to find a pedal that could give me the tone i want.
Suggestions?
I'm looking for a metalcorish tone, but with enough versatility to give me something lighter as well.
ask for this but not about the mg....
GEAR

1966 MUSTANG

valveking 112

markley tuner
Ernie Ball Wah
digitech whammy
fulltone ocd
usa big muff
boss dd7
boss rc-2

Quote by simpleben09
You sir have a mean ass rig. Have a great day.
Quote by GRrocker132
I recently purchased a Marshall MGHDFX 100 watt amp...

Poor kid's going to get eaten alive.

In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

digitech grunge pedal

they call it a grunge pedal but i dunno what theyre smokin cause it works better for metal than the death metal pedal does
Quote by Ikey
im no fred flintstone but i can sure make the bed rock

MY GEAR!

Epiphone Futura Custom EX
Randall RG75DG3 Combo Amp
MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
^ Why are you being so cruel, thats a shit pedal!

Seriously TS, if you can i suggest you return your amp and get something better. It's pretty crap as well and a better amp will give you a much better metal tone than a pedal will.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by wolfeman85
digitech grunge pedal

they call it a grunge pedal but i dunno what theyre smokin cause it works better for metal than the death metal pedal does

They're actually the same circuit except the one has a (utterly useless) gain knob, the other has a (rather useful) mid knob. The Death Metal pedal is more useful then the Grunge because you can turn the mids up enough to get a reasonably full sound, the Grunge always sounds kinda like over scooped poop.

Other then the Grunge/Death Metal there's always the Boss HM-3 Hyper Metal, it's sorta Big Muff but tighter on the bass, or the HM-2, which is pretty much Swedish death metal in a box.

Although, I'd skip all of that and buy a Crate GX10/15/20 for $20 and run the preamp into the MG's FX return. It's the same preamp as the amp used by Suffocation and early Cannibal Corpse, and cheap SS practise amps tend to go for cheaper then distortion pedals anyways.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
These are just some ideas for pedals you should try out because it really comes down to what you like. So try the Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff, Boss Metal Zone, MXR Fullbore Metal, DigiTech HardWire Metal Distortion, or the T-Rex Bloody Mary. There are many options out there though, so I suggest you do some research and find the the one that best suits your tastes.
Digitech HardWire TL-2. If you have a little more the Blackstar HT-DISTX is an awesome pedal.
You guys are forgetting the amp he's playing this through.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Yeah, I KNOW my amp is absolute shit, but i can't afford any replacemement or return it.
I'm looking for a pedal that'll just give me decent distortion until i can pay for a valveking.
Thanks to all the serious posters in this thread, though
Careful thinking the Valveking will solve your problems, that's the same mistake I made. Sub-par for metal. You'll be back to searching for a pedal. (I did have some success running a Digitech TL-2 metal pedal through the clean channel of the valveking). Still not like getting the sound naturally from the amp.
Schecter C-1+, Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates (Neck) Seymour Duncan Custom Custom (Bridge) -->Boss TU-3, Way Huge Angry Troll, Analogman Boss SD-1/808 Silver mod -->Marshall JCM 800 4104 --> Marshall 1960A with Rola Celestion G12-65s