Get a bass guitar tone like Mike Dirnt on the album Dookie?

I've been playing for about 6 months so I'm not exactly an expert... (i'm learing Longview from my teacher and when I play it i'd like to be able to get a similar sound.

If it helps I play an Ibanez SR300 and use a Hartke B30 Amp. I've been fiddling around a little bit and havent really go close, It seems less bass, more treble though?

Any responses would be much welcomed!
Well, he uses a signature Fender P-bass and a since-discontinued Mesa amplifier (the M-2000). Your bass may be fine, but you will definitely need an amplifier with more thunder.
Quote by FatalGear41
Well, he uses a signature Fender P-bass and a since-discontinued Mesa amplifier (the M-2000). Your bass may be fine, but you will definitely need an amplifier with more thunder.

on dookie im sure he used a gibson grabber II (GASing for one seen em doing a limited run of em ) until the infamous rugby tackle by security which broke said bass and he switched to P-bass for warning onwards.Im not sure which amps he used back then tho its most likely the mesa.

One way would be roll on the treble a little and the bass and cut the mids a little thats what i kinda guess is similar.Thats what im thinking even tho im not the greatest at this kinda stuff.

AFAIK Harke amps are pretty transparent sounding aswell.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
P bass with duncan quarter pounders and a very generic sounding EQ settings
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Just lower your bass and bring up your mids/highs, with your tone all the way up, use a pick, and start half-slapping the strings when you strum. Mike pulls the strings when he strums so that they pop back, a little like John Entwistle.
Quote by eterom11
Yes, it is then!

You are truly a god among men.

Quote by Pancakehead
Dear Scribbllez I Googled it my good sir,
A hearty lol it did stir.

Ending Autumn
Use a pick.
Boost mids, boost bass a little bit as well.
Favor the bridge pickup.

It's a fairly generic punk-rock tone, and that should get you in the ball park.
Boost bass and high mids. set the tone knob on your bass all the way up (all the way to treble) and if you have two pickups use the neck pickup. use a pick.
as you can see from all the previous posts everyone has suggested completely different eq settings. this is because everyone's ears are different and everyone is using different equipment.

the best thing you can do is experiment and trust your ears.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.