I was playing and I got bored and asked how you make a sus chord to double check if I was right. I thought it would be where you take out the third of a triad and replace it with a different note from within the scale.

ex. C D G or C F G

She said that it would be something like this:

C E G D

Correct me if I'm wrong but that isn't a sus chord. That is an "add" chord.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Last edited by RockGuitar92 at Nov 29, 2009,
thats an add9 chord
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Quote by victoryaloy
thats an add9 chord

That's kinda what I said. I just don't get how a music teacher can **** up on something like that. haha
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
yeah.. thats pretty bad..
did she give you an example of how it would be use?
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Nope. She even said she wasn't exactly sure what it was but from what I can tell a sus chord is pretty common. Especially on guitar.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
yeah.. on piano too! Most of my playing is chord charts(piano and guitar) and sus chords come up quite a bit! they arent always use in traditional "sus" form but they still come up!
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Quote by RockGuitar92
Nope. She even said she wasn't exactly sure what it was but from what I can tell a sus chord is pretty common. Especially on guitar.

I had a conversation with my piano teacher the other day and apparently sus chords arn't really seen in piano music, he had no idea what a sus chord was, he only knew what the suspension technqiue was that is used in music.

Anyhow, a sus chord is a chord that takes the 3rd and brings it down a step or up a step to the next scale degree.

sus2 making it the 2nd note in the scale, and sus4 making it the 4th.

an add chord normally suggests you are ADDing a note on top of the notes already being used.

So an add9 chord would be 1-3-5-9.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I had a conversation with my piano teacher the other day and apparently sus chords arn't really seen in piano music, he had no idea what a sus chord was, he only knew what the suspension technqiue was that is used in music.

Anyhow, a sus chord is a chord that takes the 3rd and brings it down a step or up a step to the next scale degree.

sus2 making it the 2nd note in the scale, and sus4 making it the 4th.

an add chord normally suggests you are ADDing a note on top of the notes already being used.

So an add9 chord would be 1-3-5-9.

Yeah it isn't but I believe she also teaches the music theory class sometimes.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Im assuming she's a classically trained pianist. Suspensions in classical music are alot different to to modern music.

In classical music a suspension involved preparing a note in a previous chord, playing it in the next chord and then resolving it.
Quote by griffRG7321

In classical music a suspension involved preparing a note in a previous chord, playing it in the next chord and then resolving it.

And maybe this didn't originate with Bach, but it was certainly formalized by Bach.

In any case, I can't believe that any music teacher - regardless of instrument - worth his or her salt wouldn't know what a suspension was. You know... seeing as a lot of piano players play works by Bach....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
And maybe this didn't originate with Bach, but it was certainly formalized by Bach.

In any case, I can't believe that any music teacher - regardless of instrument - worth his or her salt wouldn't know what a suspension was. You know... seeing as a lot of piano players play works by Bach....

CT

I know. I lost faith in her teaching more and more. haha
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
And maybe this didn't originate with Bach, but it was certainly formalized by Bach. In any case, I can't believe that any music teacher - regardless of instrument - worth his or her salt wouldn't know what a suspension was. You know... seeing as a lot of piano players play works by Bach.... CT

As it was said before, classical theory write suspensions differently to jazz/rock players. What she said was actually correct because in classical theory the use of the 2nd or 9th is used as a suspension as well.

So yes she is correct. Just not in the way jazz/rock players understand them.

http://www.tsmp.org/theory/lias/pdf/quickfacts.pdf

That's a quick reference sheet to some classical theory.
My theory is pretty fluent, actually, but thanks for the link. I have a degree in this stuff. 8)

Part of what makes a suspension a suspension is how it is set up and how it resolves. Thus, you can have a sus 2 that occurs, effectively, a 9th above the root (in a typical four-part chorale, the bass might sing the root, while the alto sings the sus2, for instance). If it is set up and resolved - behaves - like a suspension, then it is a suspension.

AFAIK, it becomes a 9th when it occurs in a chord where it is an extension of the seventh, and is not set up nor resolved as a suspension. (my degree is in classical guitar..... not jazz) That is, it is used as a flavour within the chord.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.