I'm in a band and we have a pretty laid back sound..it's a bit faster than this bob marley video that i'm about to post, but I had some general questions about reverb. Since we only have 4 instruments (including the voice), should we just add reverb to everything in order to give it a bigger sound? Oh and the bass drum is played a lot, so would that just sound ridiculous in a recording with a lot of reverb (oh we're very rhythmic so we just had it in mind that we should turn up the bass and bass drum in our recordings)?

Now for the bob marley section of this post: Do you think is voice is double-tracked and has reverb on this recording? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOniR2N63zQ

We basically want to have a "full" sound on our recordings
Double track everything, which is, play each individual part twice, then pan each seperate track hard left or right, it really opens up your recording. Do not copy and paste, play each individual part twice exactly so to fool the ear into thinking there the same track and pan one right and one left 100%.
I would reverb the vocal tracks, double the guitar tracks and run the bass and drums clean.
Remember to pan each part so nothing gets masked and has it's own sonic space.
Quote by Afterhours
I would reverb the vocal tracks, double the guitar tracks and run the bass and drums clean.
Remember to pan each part so nothing gets masked and has it's own sonic space.

Well I forgot to mention that the drums and the bass are pretty much the forefront (instrumentally speaking). The guitar is doing some basic rhythmic things. We want to record it the way a "Rap" recording would work, with the bass drum being very present and the bass as well. Should we still double the guitar tracks in that case? Oh and by this, should we double track the bass (since I've noticed in a lot of recordings that the bass is really hard to hear)?
Last edited by fenderplayer110 at Nov 29, 2009,
Reverb adds depth to the sound (making it appear farther away). If there is only a single guitar part (basic) rhythm, could just lay down a single track.....doubling tracks gives it a fuller sound.....not necessarily a louder sound, depending on how you mix it. If you want the drums and bass to be more present and upfront.......just mix them louder and keep them closer to the center of the sonic field.