Quote by bigjuice_7
how do you think some emg 81/85 0r sd's would sound with my vypyr 15?

don't bother. actives only really sound decent with a naturally hi-gain all-tube amp. it's the only way to really get the full potential from them.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']don't bother. actives only really sound decent with a naturally hi-gain all-tube amp. it's the only way to really get the full potential from them.
According to MrFlibble anyway.

They'll sound fine through a Vypyr - though I feel it takes high output passives better.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened

They'll sound fine through a Vypyr - though I feel it takes high output passives better.

According to the fact that I've tried it multiple times. Every which way, I can't get a good sound from EMGs paired with any modeling amp, much less a Vypyr.
Quote by oneblackened

Flibble and his nearly psychopathic hatred for active pickups always makes me laugh

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']According to the fact that I've tried it multiple times. Every which way, I can't get a good sound from EMGs paired with any modeling amp, much less a Vypyr.

What are you smoking? I've got great tone out my Squier and my Line 6 Spider. I don't know how long you spent setting it up or what's wrong with your ear but my tone is certainly awesome. Pretty much similar to Petrucci's but just more awesome.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
What are you smoking? I've got great tone out my Squier and my Line 6 Spider. I don't know how long you spent setting it up or what's wrong with your ear but my tone is certainly awesome. Pretty much similar to Petrucci's but just more awesome.

Does your Petrucci sound control the Earth's rotation?! I THINK NOT!!! thus you are nowhere near as cool as John Petrucci, not to mention he can time-warp.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Does your Petrucci sound control the Earth's rotation?! I THINK NOT!!! thus you are nowhere near as cool as John Petrucci, not to mention he can time-warp.

He can also shoot laser beams from his taint.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
He can also shoot laser beams from his taint.

DAMNIT!!! I knew I forgot something.
Quote by azn_guitarist25

oh no not another one of these guys......*puts head down in frustration*
Gear:
My Voice
PRS Tremonti II
PRS Hollowbody II w/ Piezo Blue Matteo
PRS 513 25th anniversary
PRS Tremonti SE
Fender John Mayer Relic strat "the black one"

did i mention i like PRS?

20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']DAMNIT!!! I knew I forgot something.

It's alright,it was a recent upgrade that was installed when he switched to version 6.0.

That's right,he's a guitar playing robot built by the CIA to wage sonic war on the communists during the cold war,but he was deemed too dangerous and sent into civilian society to play progressive metal for the masses.

Quote by Pr0gNut
It's alright,it was a recent upgrade that was installed when he switched to version 6.0.

That's right,he's a guitar playing robot built by the CIA to wage sonic war on the communists during the cold war,but he was deemed too dangerous and sent into civilian society to play progressive metal for the masses.

Ive got an active SD bridge on my Ibanez and they sound pretty good on my 15 watt Vypyr.

I dont particularly like the clean sound, I use the stock neck pickup because the SD in the bridge is just unpleasant. I love it for distorted lead riffs but I never use it clean.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']

That's right! He's not a man,but a machine! A MACHINE I TELLS YAH!!!!!

*dramatic music*

Quote by Pr0gNut
Flibble and his nearly psychopathic hatred for active pickups always makes me laugh

He hates anything that qualifies as "metal."
I swear to you, he dislikes high output passives, actives, searing preamp gain, and basically anything having to do with metal.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Nov 28, 2009,
Quote by oneblackened

He hates anything that qualifies as "metal."
I swear to you, he dislikes high output passives, actives, searing preamp gain, and basically anything having to do with metal.

He also hates anything that involves shred or virtuoso level playing

I remember getting into a heated argument with him because he said guys like Satriani are just emotionless robots and don't deserve his respect for what they do,even going so far as to say he respects Avril Lavigne more .

Quote by AE25RR
oh no not another one of these guys......*puts head down in frustration*

Are you trying to tell me my gear is crap? 'Cos if I were you let's not get into an argument about my gear.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Are you trying to tell me my gear is crap? 'Cos if I were you let's not get into an argument about my gear.

Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Does your Petrucci sound control the Earth's rotation?! I THINK NOT!!! thus you are nowhere near as cool as John Petrucci, not to mention he can time-warp.

But I control the Earth's gravitational field