Well the other thread was closed so I can't ask my question. I'm just learning how to play guitar and I don't have a pick so I'm just using my thumb. And well, I got a really big blister on it. I've been learning just switching between different frets and the C and G chords. I read it's not normal to get a blister on your strumming thumb so should I be doing something different? Thanks.
If your just starting out a blister is nothing unusual. Once it heals and you keep on playing you'll get a callous there and you won't have that problem anymore. You'll also be getting some callouses on your fingertips the more you play.
What Matt420740 said. You'll have a blister for a bit, but that's completely normal and will go away in a month or so if you continue to practice regularly.
-Rudy

Quote by blackthought
Sometimes it's best to prepare for the worst possible eventuality... sex with Bill Murray.
Quote by DukeDeRox
I'm as shallow as a dry lake bed.
As the above poster said, that's nothing unusual. I know it sounds strange now, I thought it did too when I first began playing. Don't worry you'll get used to it.
So I don't get it, why doesn't anyone like Squiers?

GEAR:
Red Affinity Series Squire Fat Strat [guitar]

Little Big Muff Pi [pedal]
Thanks guys. So I should keep playing even with the blister or let it heal first?
Quote by ImaExplode
Thanks guys. So I should keep playing even with the blister or let it heal first?

It would be best if you let it heal a bit, but if you can't wait, then put a band-aid over it and keep on playing. Or you could get a pick and work on that for a while. Even if you play fingerpicking style, there are some things you just can't fingerpick, so its not a bad idea to at least get used to a pick for those times when you need it.
Quote by ImaExplode
I appreciate the responses, this seems like a great resource. Thanks everyone.

No problem. Welcome to UG
Quote by ImaExplode
I appreciate the responses, this seems like a great resource. Thanks everyone.

If you think this is a great resource wait till you see the pit...
Yes now, let's avoid the pit...a lot of people in there don't even play guitar haha. But yes, you probably let your blister heal. Ideally, if you're going to just be strumming chords you should get a pick; if you're really desperate, you could try using a quarter or some other kind of coin.

And LDG17....that is an epic song you have quoted there.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!