Hello Bass Forum, It's nice to see you again. I've been fine...you have too? That's good.

Well I was thinking of maybe changing out the P-bass pickup on my 2004 Jazz Aerodyne Fender bass. I love this bass, but lately I've been listening to some McCartney and Wings and I love his Rickenbacker more. I realize a Rick is a very hard/impossible bass to replicate, but I wanted a more full, bassey, and warm sounds out of my highs. My lows are fine, maybe a little muddy.

That is why I felt a new P-bass pickup might be nice (I don't use the J-pickup on the bass at all for reference)

I know nothing about changing pickups and such, but after I looked a little on Guitarcenter.com I thought these might be good: http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-DP127-Split-P-Replacement-Pickup-for-Fender-P-Bass-302265-i1127656.gc

I thought the split might give it a nicer sound, but I have no clue. So I thought, who is the one person I know could help me, UG! So if you know anything about this pickup, or another pickup to look into, or alternative suggestions, let me know.

Thanx as always, JV (:
Try adding more delay.
...replacing the P pickup should give you close to the sound you desire if thats what you want to do...though like you said its pretty impossible

A thought though...you could buy an actual Rick pickup off of ebay for about the same price and the cutting on the bass wouldn't look as bad
Last edited by thunderbritches at Nov 28, 2009,
Cool, those are the first rail pickups I've seen for a bass. I love my rail's in strat and I just got 2 basses, one of them may get those in it in the future. Sorry, no idea about the tone, I just liked the pickups. lol.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
@thunderbritches - Well, I don't want to cut up my P-bass, to put in a new one, but I would be fine with putting a different pickup in it. So would putting in the railed pickup really be a good solution?
Try adding more delay.
Well my knowledge of P-style pickups is definitely lacking however just kind of looking at the description on the railed pickup it seems as though it kind of fits what you're looking for. I mean looking at it, it's just like giving you 2 small humbuckers which would be closer to a Rick than the stock pups....Idk I'm not an expert, I say go for it but you should probably find other peoples opinions as well
hmm, well alright. I do see what you mean, I as well drew that conclusion that it would draw me closer to the Rick sound. Thanx for the time and feedback (:
Try adding more delay.
I'd say it would be a great move.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
I'd say it would be a great move.

haha, care to expand on that, buddy?
Try adding more delay.
well it def wont sound like a ric .. more closer to a MM then anything.

the split P is one of the best P pickups ever made it's top of the line in every way. it kinda gets lost in the hype under the duncan quarter pounders and emg pickups but they are equally as good if not better.

what makes the split P so unusual compared to a normal P bass pickup is that a normal P pickup has two halfs and they go together to make a whole. in the split P each "half" are thier own seperate humbuckers.

so technically the split P is not a singile coil pickup it is two humbuckers. they sound similer to single coil to retain somewhat of a P bass sound it has the deep agressive characteristics of a humbucker.

if you are sorta hating the P bass sound but loving your P bass i think the split P would sound right for you based on your discription on how your liking theese other artists that dont use P basses

-edit they are direct replacement so no cutting or mods needed
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Last edited by Emergancy Exit at Nov 28, 2009,
=/ Well I do enjoy my P-bass sound, not so much the MM sound....very mixed reviews/ideas...
Try adding more delay.
Quote by telecastrmastr
=/ Well I do enjoy my P-bass sound, not so much the MM sound....very mixed reviews/ideas...

grr i know what it sounds like but its very hard to describe...... it still sounds like a P bass just VERY BEEFY and a little more high end sizzle like more presence.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
if your after a rick sound your going to need a pickup with alot of high end and your really not going to get anywhere close without a bridge pickup. the dimarzio split P would be a very nice upgrade however so you will have a very pleasing sounding P bass in the meantime while you save up for a two pickup bass in the future?
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Emergancy Exit
if your after a rick sound your going to need a pickup with alot of high end and your really not going to get anywhere close without a bridge pickup. the dimarzio split P would be a very nice upgrade however so you will have a very pleasing sounding P bass in the meantime while you save up for a two pickup bass in the future?

I do rather enjoy my P-bass sound, but I would enjoy a more full sound from it, more highs and lows both.

and my bass does have a bridge pickup, it's a jazz pickup. I just REALLY dislike the jazz sound, is there an alternative pickup I coudl put in place for the jazz without doing any cutting?
Try adding more delay.
what you could try is putting a standard guitar single coil in there. the combination of the strong throb from the Dimarzio and the weak, bassless thwack of the guitar pickup should effectively emulate the crappy sound Paul got out of his instruments, by having that very lo fi tone that bounces, due to the fast response from the pickup and the undertow from the dimarzio.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom