How hard is it for someone who has no idea about electronics, but would be willing to read up and learn about electronics to build effects pedals. Also, is it cost effective and will they at least sound close to as good as the normal mainstream brands.
Thanks
if u mean designing ur own circuits, that takes some circuit theory and a lot of knowledge of elctronics. if u mean buying a kit and soldering it together all u need to do is know how to solder and follow directions
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
As long as you can solder and are willing to learn how to read wiring diagrams its not hard at all. The circuits are actually fairly simple. Not really sure if its worth it thought unless you're like me and get a big kick out of knowing you built something yourself...I love that feeling of accomplishment.

Its definitely cost effective compared to buying new, quality pedals. And depending on how you view it morally, a good deal of the plans available on the internet are clones of already existing pedals so sound quality would be more of a matter of how well you actually build it (practice soldering). Some people would frown on that but I dont see anything wrong with it if you're just building the pedals for yourself and not to sell someone elses R&D.
Last edited by jmw.81 at Nov 28, 2009,
Quote by buttermilkxxx
How hard is it for someone who has no idea about electronics, but would be willing to read up and learn about electronics to build effects pedals. Also, is it cost effective and will they at least sound close to as good as the normal mainstream brands.
Thanks

About the only pedals that are really cost effective are simple boost pedals, simple fuzz circuits, and volume pedals, or AB pedals. When you get into things like phasers and delays, they are quite complicated, time consuming, and you'd be better off buying a pedal. But if your willing to take the time to learn about schematics, how to soldier and so on, then you can certainly build some simple pedals, and have a lot of fun doing it. My first build was a Mosfet clean boost which you can see in the pic below.

If you'll google DIY effects pedals you'll find plenty of sites, and info to get you started.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Nov 28, 2009,
To me, this is way too complicated and complexe. I know nothing about pedal electronics but I think you should just buy a disto pedal.
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
well, actually it is not so hard, especially with the resources on the internet, if you know how to use a soldering iron and they cost like 2 times cheaper
I have build these http://web.zone.ee/ebuprofen/
My Band
ESP Eclipse II ACSB SD Jazz/JB
Bugera 6262 head
Benor 4x12 Celestion 12T-75
Quote by ebuprofen
well, actually it is not so hard, especially with the resources on the internet, if you know how to use a soldering iron and they cost like 2 times cheaper
I have build these http://web.zone.ee/ebuprofen/

Though its probably already known, thats a link to a virus... dont anyone click it.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
I guess it depends on what effects you want. If you want a digital delay read up on ADCs DACs and shift registers... there's also some theory you should know if you're going down the digital avenue like nyquist theorem, resolution and sampling rate. I've been planning to build one like this for a while now... it's just a matter of getting around to it.

EDIT: ^^ you just saved my computer! I almost clicked that, but I read your response first by pure chance
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Last edited by EnyoAdonai at Nov 28, 2009,
Quote by shaggydogJV
Though its probably already known, thats a link to a virus... dont anyone click it.

wtf, what virus, it's only my link to photos of pedals i've build
My Band
ESP Eclipse II ACSB SD Jazz/JB
Bugera 6262 head
Benor 4x12 Celestion 12T-75
Quote by ebuprofen
wtf, what virus, it's only my link to photos of pedals i've build

img tags in this thread will do fine man. No one's going to look at that link.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by buttermilkxxx
Thanks

There are lots of simple designs you can start with, like a simple boost pedal.

Some effects are cheaper to build yourself, some are not. If you are trying to recreate something vintage and hard to find (like an Octavia) you can probably build it cheaper. You cannot build a Blues Driver cheaper than Boss however.

Be prepared to take it slow and still screw up. Troubleshooting a pedal that doesn't work can be enormously frustrating, but that's the way it goes. So gratifying when you get it right though!
i dont think its that hard, i have a bit of soldering experience but after a lot of research im starting to build pedals of my own, i'm even working on designing my own schematics.
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
I've built two kits now, was pretty fun and I'm hoping to get another for christmas.

if you're unsure check out the build your own clone confidence booster, it's only $15 and is fairly easy to put together. I modded mine and put it in an enclosure with an A/B switch. then if it goes well and you wanta do more then I hear fuzzes are good for beginners (I built a distortion pedal after I did the confidence boost)

Just be careful and follow the diagrams.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=63479.msg659149#msg659149 I'm in process of building one of these, but a dual tube version. Its basically a tube-based boost/overdrive pedal. I don't gig or anything, so I'm building mine into a desktop box, probably add in a few different fuzz circuits and a EH-LPB based boost in front of the tubes. At least thats the plan. lol.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Quote by shaggydogJV

I clicked the link before I saw your post. Where is the virus suppose to be? I mean, there really is pedals pics on this link...
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Last edited by shelovemyguitar at Nov 29, 2009,