If I had a Marshall JMP Super Lead from 1978, what would I need to have a thick heavy metal tone, a la Metallica, Ozzy, Rhoads, Wylde, G N R? Whats the point of overdrive pedals? Isn't the reason people get Plexis is for the Natural creamy Overdrive? Why use an artificial pedal on such an amazing amp?
You'd want an Overdrive.

ODs, in this case, are mostly used with the gain at 0 and volume at max to boost your signal, tightening up your sound and adding a bit of a mid hump to help you cut more, this will also drive the amp into more saturation. It doesn't make your amp sound artificial, at all.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I wondered the same thing back a long time ago.
Distortion pedals really are a waste of time if you have a nice [tube] amp. They're MAINLY just for use by people with real cheap solid state amps or for people with nice fender tube amps that need real heavy tones that the amp can't achieve by itself. This is sort of a generalization but for the most part it is true.

Overdrive pedals are WIDELY used because on tube amps they boost your signal (make it louder) which 'pushes the tubes' harder giving you more natural tube amp distortion. When using an overdrive pedal in alot of cases the purpose is just to make use of it's ability to make your signal louder, and not it's actual gain/distortion.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Last edited by Faux~Affliction at Nov 28, 2009,
Most people, like Matrixclaw said, boost the preamp stage of their amplifier for a more saturated sound.

If you have a modded FX loop (which really shoulden't be there imo) you could add an OD pedal into the loop to boost the Poweramp section, inwhich is the key to Rock N Roll.

But the bands you listed there are more Preamp gain then poweramp gain.

Wait a sec, IF YOU HAD?
If you had one you would have to buy an attenuator, or you will mostlikely not be able to use it other then open air gigs or PAing someone elses amplifier
Quote by stykerwolf
Most people, like Matrixclaw said, boost the preamp stage of their amplifier for a more saturated sound.

If you have a modded FX loop (which really shoulden't be there imo) you could add an OD pedal into the loop to boost the Poweramp section, inwhich is the key to Rock N Roll.

But the bands you listed there are more Preamp gain then poweramp gain.

Wait a sec, IF YOU HAD?
If you had one you would have to buy an attenuator, or you will mostlikely not be able to use it other then open air gigs or PAing someone elses amplifier

Why wouldn't I be able to use it in my house? If I used an OD pedal, like you guys said, I can have great tone at low volumes...
Quote by rhoadsrules
Why wouldn't I be able to use it in my house? If I used an OD pedal, like you guys said, I can have great tone at low volumes...

You really need to do some research.

Because the amp itself won't overdrive unless at mind blowing volumes. The OD can only add so much gain.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs