Hello Everyone,

I've been playing for almost 3 years now, I was in a band with some friends but it was only covers and of the metal genre. Every time I pick up the guitar now I want to take it more serious, cause I feel I'm just shortchanging myself with covers and not actually understanding the instrument I play. I am starting to take it more seriously, and I am looking for some guidance.

I don't really know where to start learning, I play thrash and power metal. I can nail the solos, but when I think about it I don't even know why the artist picked those sweeps or progressions. Can anyone help me in regards to books, or programs, or internet videos that can teach me? Starting from beginning to complete understanding would be nice. Anything to help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all for reading and replying.
well, i would say to start challenging yourself more, thats what i do...ive been playing for a year and a half now and play every day for a hour or so and my friends (that have been playing for roughly 3 or 4 years) say that i can nail riffs and solos better than them because i started playing guitar instantly challenging myself...haha as soon as i picked up a guitar i said "Hey...i wanna learn how to play Master of Puppets" lol

also, start learning the actual notes that your playing, i know thats the most boring and seemingly pointless thing to do, but once you can read music and immediatly transfer it over to guitar, that makes a HUGE diffrence in playability

and learn some scales, pentatonics are a guitarist best freind...

hope it helped, i know half of this probably seemed like a review more than advice, but its always good to remember why you started playing guitar...CAUSE ITS FREAKIN AWESOME!
Thanks for the tip BC RICH5000 I will do my best.

One thing I feel I must include, because it just seems important to do so. I can presently cover bands like Nevermore, Machine Head, Firewind, and other bands of this nature. I have 2 7 string Ibanez electric guitars and can only do 3 string sweeps at the moment. When I try and put the knowledge in a home made song though my riffage and solo-matude sounds out of place.

I don't know if adding the low B string changes anything dramatically, but I don't even own a 6 string anymore :P
Last edited by DragonFlame1990 at Nov 28, 2009,