i used to always get sitka spruce topped steel string acoustics and cedar topped classicals. in the last year, i've discovered that i really like cedar tops on steel string acoustics, quite a bit, actually. and in getting into other options on reasonably priced guitars, i've discovered that every guitar i play with an englemann top has a bit of magic for me. in fact, i'd say it's my favorite soundboard wood for $2000 and below guitars.

the woods when you go up in price tend to offer a few options i haven't seen in the under $2000 models - carpathian spruce, koa, adirondack (although blueridge has a couple adi models at a lower price), german spruce, some other cedars, etc. but even so, i feel that englemann holds its own.

so how about you - do you have a favorite top wood?
i like spruce. i've always liked the concert-style sounds from an acoustic. so my dreadnaught has a spruce top and mahogany sides, all helping to get me that trebly sort of sound. love it! it's still definitely got some bass to it, but not too much for me. bassy acoustic's sound almost muddy to me.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Having owned both spruce and cedar top guitars, I'd say spruce is more suitable for me. Strumming hard on a cedar top makes it lose all its beautiful overtones, making the sound really... I guess mushy is he best way to describe it. I would love to try Redwood one day, which is somewhere in between spruce and cedar.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
but different spruces sound different. are you guys talking about sitka, 'cause i've found it sounds recognizably different from adirondack and englemann. englemann takes a little hard strumming but to me sounds better, more delicate and warm with TONS of overtones.
My Martin is Sitka. So... yes, sitka.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I love the sound of cedar, but it isn't practical for me. I do a lot of strumming, and when I strum it is by no means delicately. That is great for spruce because the louder the better with that wood, but cedar, like cap said, loses those gorgeous overtones that it has at softer volumes when I get to the vigorous strumming on it. Kinda sucks, but a well worn in spruce top sounds every bit as good to me as cedar.

I really want to start playing some more exotic wood guitars though. They look amazing and I can only hope the sound matches.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
i was talking about sitka spruce as well
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
My Alvarez has Englemann, and I'm a big fan. I think part of the vote here is probably because Sitka is more common, if nothing else.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
^ Your first post "cedar on wild cherry." Seagull much?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Spruce babeh, thats the way to go =D
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Cedar for strictly fingerstyle, engelmann for versatility.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.