I was giving my guitar a wipe with a dry cloth and i was also setting intonation. I noticed that the bridge has slightly rusted, the screws holding the saddles have rusted and some of them wont even hold the saddle properly. what should i do?
rust is like contagious!

Should i get a replacement bridge?
If so i was thinking about this Wilkinson VSVG Vintage Tremelo
If i do choose this option would i have to change the machine heads aswell?
I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as it doesn't affect playability. Kinda gives the guitar a little character, if you're into that.

But if you do wanna replace it, this looks like a great choice. And no, you won't need to change your machine heads, unless the finish is different and you want them to match. Otherwise, no.
What, like a clearcoat? Or like WD-40? Like gun oil? Like gun bluing chemicals?

Don't think any of those would work too well.

You could get it powdercoated. But it might just cost less to get a new bridge.

This could be a great opportunity to get a Floyd Rose, if you don't mind doing a bunch of routing and maybe even change the neck angle.

Here's another option:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyJNvY4MlFg

And another that needs even less extra work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uljTw16uQsM&feature=related
Whoooa, this guy's coming in with a sore stomach and you want to give him a heart transplant...there's no need to gut that thing for a floyd, or drop $250 on a super vee.

TS, unless you abuse your whammy a lot, the VSVG is a good unit. Once a trem has started rusting there's not a lot you'll be able to do to reverse it, since there are so many little nooks and crannies you can't really get at to coat, and doing a couple good palm mutes near the bridge will wipe any coating right off. On the other hand, if it's just the screws that are rusting out, you can always just replace those, trems tend to handle rust pretty well and it's likely that if you want to save money you could just replace the screws and have a working unit again.

And no, you would not need to change the machine heads, that wilkinson should drop right in. You won't need to replace the claw or springs either, just the 6 screws and the trem itself.
Something you can try to remove some of the rust. Take a pan and fill it with vinegar, and then put the pan on the stove on low heat and allow it to heat up until it starts to "steam". Put your bridge in there and let it sit for awhile. This should loosen up the rust, or even remove it. You will want to do this under a range so that you have good air flow.

If you want to stick with cold vinegar you can always just put the bridge in a pot of vinegar. You will want to use some sort of rust protective after this, but palm mutes will likely remove the protective coating.
Quote by Roc8995
Whoooa, this guy's coming in with a sore stomach and you want to give him a heart transplant...there's no need to gut that thing for a floyd, or drop $250 on a super vee.

LOL! Yeah, can you tell I like Floyds? I almost bought a Jackson with a rusty Floyd on it, but the day I finally went in to pick it up, the pawnshop had a Schecter I coudln't refuse. The next time I had an excuse to go get that Jackson, it was gone, baby gone. Maybe I'll drop that $250 on a super vee for my Squier...
The Wilkinson VSVG has a string spacing of 54.34mm and the mim bridge has 52.387~52.39mm. would this be a problem?

the super V looks interesting, where can i get one of these?
Last edited by Bashkar at Dec 2, 2009,
cheers for the help guys. man the super vee is way too expensive. Ill prob stick with the wilkinson vsvg trem. Also would this bridge happen to be electroplated? on stewmac it says nickel, but i think thats the colour.

anyway thanks for the help guys, ill be ordering this soon.
Sand it down, possibly repaint after that, bridge rust is normal and is easy to get rid of, looks should not be important in that matter.

Neonkovala
UG Administrator
Gear:

Guitar: Oscar Schmidt Acoustic

Piano: Yamaha EA

Microphone: CAD U37
Quote by Neonkovala
Sand it down, possibly repaint after that, bridge rust is normal and is easy to get rid of, looks should not be important in that matter.

Neonkovala
UG Administrator

Don't listen to this guy. He's got an MG-30DFX. Oh wait, so do I....* face palm *

JK.

Really, if money's an issue, don't worry about the rust. I almost bought a guitar with rusty bridge and I woudln't have changed it unless it broke.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Dec 5, 2009,
Quote by Neonkovala
Neonkovala
UG Administrator

i dont belive you, your name isnt a differant colour like all the other mods.

does that count as fraud or smth?
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by Neonkovala

Neonkovala
UG Administrator

So your part of the admin team, eh? What's your job here at UG?
I would keep it, it adds a bit of that old timey classic look to it.
It depends on what style you play..what you like in music, what your styles are.

well, how old is the guitar?
Nothing like a little rust to make something look more defined ya know
You just LOST the game >: P

After years of extensive research at Yale, it is determined that the game does not, in fact, exist.
the serial number has mz6 at the front. so im assuming its a 2006 model or a fake(but sicne i paid the price for it, its real). it also has a 60th anniversary pin on the head stock. the reason why i want a new bridge is because the saddles dont stay in place, the low E string keeps pulling the saddle forward, so the intonation is poor.

I mainly play rock(ranging from classic to modern) and abit of blues/jazz at times, but i dont ever think i can get a jazzy tone out of a strat without effects.
perhaps it is the spring in the back, or maybe the screw...
maybe just get replacement parts, you can still keep that bridge kinda...
lol, do whatever you want, its your guitar, it might look even better depending on the guitar, if youput a niice new chrome one in
You just LOST the game >: P

After years of extensive research at Yale, it is determined that the game does not, in fact, exist.