Howdy. So, I'm looking to buy a new acoustic fairly soon. Problem is, I don't know where to even start looking.

I dont know if this matters too much with acoustics, but I play mainly rock/alt rock, and I'd be using the acoustic to sort of 'pre-write' songs, as well as for softer, acoustic-intended songs.

I dont have a budget at this point, so dont worry about that.

I dont want a giant sized acoustic. Not so much because its 'too big' but because I just dont like playing giant ones. Having said that, most jumbos will be alright. That may seem hypocritical at first, but thats not important.

I dont need or want anything too too fancy, just something that has a nice sound, good action (Thats very important), and that will last. Thanks very much.

P.S. Although I dont have a budget at this point, lets try to keep the price range generally reasonable.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

here's a few nicely priced guitars that aren't dreads and aren't expensive - seagull entourage mini jumbo, taylor big baby (it's a somewhat scaled down dread), martin 000X1, yamaha L series LJ6, seagull coastline cedar folk, taylor 114. all of these are solid top and laminate back and sides, btw, and are good sounding well made guitars.

any guitar can have good action. all you have to do is have it set up by a guitar tech after telling him/her that you want low action. chances are if you play electric, you might also want to try light, extra light or silk and steel strings, too. these can make a guitar easier to play.
Quote by patticake
here's a few nicely priced guitars that aren't dreads and aren't expensive - seagull entourage mini jumbo, taylor big baby (it's a somewhat scaled down dread), martin 000X1, yamaha L series LJ6, seagull coastline cedar folk, taylor 114. all of these are solid top and laminate back and sides, btw, and are good sounding well made guitars.

any guitar can have good action. all you have to do is have it set up by a guitar tech after telling him/her that you want low action. chances are if you play electric, you might also want to try light, extra light or silk and steel strings, too. these can make a guitar easier to play.

I don't know if they've changed this since '05 (when I purchased a 210), but the 100 and 200 series Taylors have pretty narrow neck. This was a problem for me... actually, it was more of an extreme annoyance. I got rid of it once I got a 412. It might not bother you at all, though. Just thought I'd mention it.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Last edited by BigFatSandwich at Nov 30, 2009,
you could be right. the neck profile made it seem a bit friendlier than some other 1 11/16th necks to me. the op could try 'em and see if they are comfortable for him or not.

Quote by BigFatSandwich
I don't know if they've changed this since '05 (when I purchased a 210), but the 100 and 200 series Taylors have pretty narrow neck. This was a problem for me... actually, it was more of an extreme annoyance. I got rid of it once I got a 412. It might not bother you at all, though. Just thought I'd mention it.
Quote by patticake
you could be right. the neck profile made it seem a bit friendlier than some other 1 11/16th necks to me. the op could try 'em and see if they are comfortable for him or not.

I'm not really picky about things like that.

However, I do have large/'long' hands, and narrow necks could be an issue, I guess. Honestly, I've got to admit, I'm not that familiar with acooustics, at all. I've played them, and have experience on them, I just dont know the technical things about acoustics as I do with electrics.

Like I said it will probably be well after the first of the year before I can even think about getting one [money issues. What else?] so I'll have a good amount of time to 'test' or try a few out to see which is best. I'm going to read up on all the specs and whatnot of the ones you named off right now, and see if I can tell anything based on what I find there.

Thanks for all the info so far.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Last edited by Sublime_Dude at Nov 30, 2009,
also a narrow neck, and he doesn't want a dread.

another one to consider is the taylor gc3. while i personally prefer the gc8, the gc3 costs about half as much. it is smaller than a dread, feels great in the hands, has a 1 3/4 nut, fairly short scale. true, it costs more than the guitars i listed elsewhere, but depending on your budget - and possibly your ability to make deals - it's definitely worth trying. at the very least, it will give you further basis for comparison.

and if you see one, be sure and try a taylor gc8. it makes me feel like i should be sitting on a dark stage in a spotlight at a conservatory somewhere, playing something intricate ... it's a beautiful instrument, whenever i play one i find myself playing spanish classical pieces on it. oops, i guess i digressed a bit

Quote by PayOrQuit
Martin DX1!!!