ive had my 6505 for about 4 months now, and i just CANNOT find a good sound in a band situation, im up against the other guitarist who has a hiwatt maxwatt combo + cab running through metalzone and GE-7, i just have no bottom end and my sound is so tinny and shitty,i dunno why! cuz 6505's are sposed to be brutal as but theres just no punch or crunch or anything to my sound, i just dunno what the hell is wrong with it, i dunno if theres actually something wrong with it or .. i dunno, bought it new bout 4 months ago, running ibanez mtm1 with emg 81 > boss NS-2 > amp. so i dunno, i just thought there should be heaps of bottom end and chug to my sound, am i mislead?
Gear List:
Guitars:
Schecter C7 Hellraiser
Jackson JS20 Dinky
Ibanez MTM1 (Slipknot Signature)
Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Head (with Grill Mod)
Cab and Effects:
Orange PPC412(BLK)
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
Well i've seen your video and you seem to have a faulty tube(s) so maybe that's it? I have a 6505+ with an Engl cab and the 6505 cab and they both sound great imo. Definitely has a lot of punch and bottom end. One thing I find is you shouldn't really have the pre-gain above about 4.5 otherwise it gets a bit fizzy and try bumping the mids and bass up and roll back the treble

EDIT: also go easy on the prescense knob
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Nov 28, 2009,
Whats your master volume, gain and EQ?

Perhaps an EQ pedal will help, have a look at the MXR-M108.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by R.D
Whats your master volume, gain and EQ?

Perhaps an EQ pedal will help, have a look at the MXR-M108.

Yeah an EQ really helps to bring out the life in this amp
i cant run my pregain any lower then about 6.5 otherwise it sounds like.. hm how to explain it, like when u turn the volume down on your guitar with a noise gate lol
Gear List:
Guitars:
Schecter C7 Hellraiser
Jackson JS20 Dinky
Amps:
Cab and Effects:
Orange PPC412(BLK)
Clips?
Set every dial on the amp to 12 o'clock and tell us if it still sounds "wrong".
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
You say you mix with a band too?
Well I usually find my amp sound can have a bit too much treble.
But mixed with a backing track it sounds good once the bass in the back.
So really, you have to mix your EQ to fit the band.
Then, playing by yourself just jamming keep your treble low and bass high and you can tweak your mid too.

Solo I have bass 9 O'clock
Mid 12-2 O'clock
Treble 12 O'clock
Also I have my Super overdive that gives me more juice.

When I play with backing track I'll boost treble and adjust my overdrive's tone.

if you're having trouble with tone, just try and adjust things according to the sound you're getting.
Quote by MLilienthal
maybe bad cab/speakers?

This.
Also, were you happy with the sound when you got it? If so, it could be faulty tubes, you never know.

What cab have you got?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
This.
Also, were you happy with the sound when you got it? If so, it could be faulty tubes, you never know.

What cab have you got?

His sig says he has an Orange 4x12 so I doubt it's his cab. He also has what seems to be dodgy tubes from another thread so i'd say that's what the problem is
1. 5150s/6505s are great amps, but it's worth noting that Hiwatts are very, very great amps. Just throwing it out there.

2. That sounds like an EQ issue to me. It seems to be a common thing with the 5150s.

Everything else suggested has been good, though.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
His sig says he has an Orange 4x12 so I doubt it's his cab. He also has what seems to be dodgy tubes from another thread so i'd say that's what the problem is

Ah yeah, sorry, I didn't read that.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
sorry i dont really have any recording equipment to do any clips, i dont think its my cab or speakers my cab is about a week old with V30's, my settings on my amp currently Pre - 6.5 Low - 8 Mid - 3 high - 7 Post - 3.5 Resonance - 8 Presence - 8.5-9
Gear List:
Guitars:
Schecter C7 Hellraiser
Jackson JS20 Dinky
Amps:
Cab and Effects:
Orange PPC412(BLK)
A low post volume setting will result in a mainly preamp dominated tone. Which can sound thin and fizzy. It also sounds like your V30's are still new and thus stiff sounding. This can add some treble and shrillness to your sound, until they are properly broken in.
I would also turn the bias trim pot dial down in a counter clockwise direction to run the power section a bit warmer and hotter.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Nov 28, 2009,