Page 1 of 2
So ive been looking around and i know a couple of Death Metal bands use Solid State Amps and even Dimebag Darrell used Randall solid states for a majority of his Pantera career

So i have a couple questions about solid states in general

-When it comes to going super br00talz are they better then Tube Amps with Distortion Pedal

- What are the better Solid State heads on the market that go to the brutal

I was thinking about Randall amps because I would like to have the ability to have Dimebag's CFH tone

AND FOR ALL THOSE WONDERING WHY?!?! I just think it would be neat to have it in my arsenal of sonic options and they're so cheap its just a little bit more then a distortion pedal

EDIT: Under $500 please
Last edited by TheBackHouse at Nov 28, 2009,
Good SS amps can still be pretty expensive.

Though what you really need is a Peavey Bandit, with a Boss MT-2 and Boss HM-2. That's how a lot of Death Metal bands got their sound. I don't think there's an amp that does that sound.
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Nov 28, 2009,
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Good SS amps can still be pretty expensive.

Though what you really need is a Peavey Bandit, with a Boss MT-2 and Boss HM-2. That's how a lot of Death Metal bands got their sound.

hahaha that peavey thing made me laugh

yeah the Ampeg's and Roland Jazz Choruses are pretty expensive...but im looking for one thing...just stupid amounts of gain
It's terribly hard to get a decent tone out of a Boss MT-2, and once you do get one (if you do), don't change it because that's as good as it'll get. Thought I'd just add that to this thread.
^ i'm not if thats honest advice or a joke:S
decent SS amps can cost the same as decent tube amps tbh
but have a look at the randall RXH120 ( i think thats what it's called)
just be able to give you similarish sounds
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Good solid state amps I can think of for metal:

Ampeg VH-140C or SS-140
Randall amps, in particular the G3 Plus series
Line 6 Flextones, HD147s and Vettas. HD147s are tailored for metal.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by HellBoy9393
Good solid state amps I can think of for metal:

Ampeg VH-140C or SS-140
Randall amps, in particular the G3 Plus series
Line 6 Flextones, HD147s and Vettas. HD147s are tailored for metal.

the HD147s are really subjective
this guy ranted on at me saying it was as good as a vetta
then i tried it and thought it had a really loose low end
so if you look into it try it out first
and i think its bit of budget
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Quote by stykerwolf
Line6 Vetta
AxeFX if you got a lot of cash

Why not tube? High quality tube amps > high quality solid state amps

I'm pretty sure ENGLs and 5150's can do all types of "Metal" and still sound awesome.
Where as Dime's tone was really white noise in a nitrogen tank...

I have a few tube guitars but i just want an amp instead of a pedal

for me 150 for a Krank or Metal Muff wouldnt be as fun as a 350 Randall
Quote by TheBackHouse

...Wut?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by TheBackHouse

Quote by Aidy Damage

i know aye i cant believe i got one word wrong and my sentence sounded stupid...what a f.uckin retard....

can we start talking about amps now
Quote by stykerwolf
Lé Fu?

Tube Guitars?
Lolwut?

eDIT:
SORRY DIDNT SEE YOUR EDIT!!

Wait...if you have a few tube amps already, can't you just boost one of them to metal territory?

You really don't need a new amp just for metal.

Which ones do you have now?
Last edited by unet at Nov 28, 2009,
For a truly metal tone, you might be better off looking at a hybrid amp - one with a tube preamp and a solid-state power amp. Marshall's Mode Four and Randall's V2 and V2 Ninja are good examples of this breed. They are a bit pricey, though. For $500.00, you may be hard pressed to find anything outside of Marshall's MG series.
With SS amps its very important to check how they handle your own rig. I have heard that some of the Hiwatt MaxWatt series are very good with pedals and Boss, though only average performance, are so popular that if there was a clash, it would soon be reported.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by TheBackHouse
hahaha that peavey thing made me laugh

yeah the Ampeg's and Roland Jazz Choruses are pretty expensive...but im looking for one thing...just stupid amounts of gain

Entomed used MT-2s and HM-2s into a Peavey Bandit. I was serious... actual Death Metal used those pedals extensively.
but Dime's tone was complete shit.
I think a tube would be better because it's cheaper.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Track down a used Marshall 8100. Valvestate head that can go for silly money. Chuck used them on the later Death albums and his tone is one of the death metal standards

EDIT: Either of the previously mentioned Ampegs would be perfect too
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by GaijinFoot
but Dime's tone was complete shit.
I think a tube would be better because it's cheaper.

ever heard about personal Taste?

and tube = cheaper? what?
Peavey Bandit 112
Washburn Chicago series :SD Invader at bridge ,GFS Lil Killer on neck
Bc Rich Warlock :GFS Vintage59 on neck ,Crunchy rails on bridge
Epiphone SG :Tusq Nut, GFS Crunchy Pat on neck, bc rich pickup on bridge
lots of cheap pedals
Yeah i agree, Dimes tone was kinda sucky...but i want to be able to mess around with it and play some covers once and i while when i feel like.

i dont mean to sound like a rich prick but this is kinda an impulse-ish buy for my rig for a bit of fun.

Do the $350 Randall g3 heads do a good dimebag?
Ok, I'm gonna be nice.

Randall make a few solid state stuff, check it out. But Randall are like cheap Mesa, they have stupid amounts of distortion. It would be ok for tech death metal, but not regular.... basic... average.... boring... classic.... old school.... death metal.
Quote by Dopey_Trout
Track down a used Marshall 8100. Valvestate head that can go for silly money. Chuck used them on the later Death albums and his tone is one of the death metal standards

This. Dime used Valvestates early in career and you can nail his tone with them. They are also freakishly cheap.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
Quote by Dopey_Trout

+1, those marshalls make great deals, an 8100 head is typically 200 bones or less
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by forsaknazrael
wat.

Yeah, amazingly not all "Real" bands use Klons through T00b amps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_death_metal

Well I'm talking older Swedish death metal bands, obviously, but that's where most of the influence seems to be from. Usually when people talk about "Oldschool" Death Metal tones they mean the really rough, raw buzzsaw tones.
The Ampeg (as stated above) or a Crate Shockwave would do you well, as would any typical Randall amp. Marshall Mode 4's are complete crap and the HD147, while a beast, is overpriced.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Again, Oldschool Death Metal is a Boss HM-2 or MT-2 into a Peavey Bandit.

No, MT-2s were not around when the Swedish bands did this. Ot was all HM-2, NOT the MT-2.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN

Well I'm talking older Swedish death metal bands, obviously, but that's where most of the influence seems to be from. Usually when people talk about "Oldschool" Death Metal tones they mean the really rough, raw buzzsaw tones.
Am I the only one who finds it weird that they mentioned the gear commonly used in the articles for each branch? I don't think I've ever seen that.
Quote by stykerwolf

Entirely a matter of opinion. Vetta's will slay most tube amps, The JC120 has one of the best cleans ever and eats pedals alive and amped VH140 maybe one of the greatest metal amps ever.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
No, MT-2s were not around when the Swedish bands did this. Ot was all HM-2, NOT the MT-2.

It was the HM-2 originally but they started using the MT-2 when that came out in 1991(Which is still the arse end of "Old School" Death Metal given it only started mid 80s or so).
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Though what you really need is a Peavey Bandit, with a Boss MT-2 and Boss HM-2. That's how a lot of Death Metal bands got their sound. I don't think there's an amp that does that sound.
A Peavey Bandit can easily do death metal on it's own. I don't see why you would need a mediocre pedal.

Some good SS amps:

Randall G3 Series
Peavey Bandit
Line 6 Flextone/Vetta/HD147
Axe-FX
Ampeg VH-140C (especially this. An Ampeg VH-140C is a gain monster)
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Quote by stykerwolf
Line6 Vetta
AxeFX if you got a lot of cash

I'm pretty sure ENGLs and 5150's can do all types of "Metal" and still sound awesome.
Where as Dime's tone was really white noise in a nitrogen tank...

A lot of Death Metal was DONE on Solid State amps. The harshness of SS can actually come in handy here and it's viciously cheaper to get a good Solid State amp for Dearth Metal than it is a good Tube amp for Death Metal. For the "Solid State" metal sound you could get a Bandit and afew pedals, for the less harsh but "fuller" Tube Death Metal sound, you'd need a fairly high end German amp.
IMO the randall rh g2 series are kick ass for new and old school metals. use the green gain for old school and the red for new. the red is kinda noisy though.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN

They did that because it's Sweden. Do you know anything about the availability or price inflation on gear there?
Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it needs to be done.
Quote by forsaknazrael
They did that because it's Sweden. Do you know anything about the availability or price inflation on gear there?
Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it needs to be done.

You're really making me want to punch every tube purist ever in the face right now for infecting people with this kind of attitude. You must know you're being obnoxious and unreasonable. This is where the whole "Death Metal" thing gained ground. There's nothing wrong with a HM-2 and Peavey Bandit. Just because you only cream yourself over aging technology doesn't mean it's the only way to do things.

Death Metal is meant to be a harsh sounding genre. It makes sense that this is somewhere where harsher, buzzier distortions can be effective, and if the SS amp is good enough like a Bandit it'll still help tame the higher ends.

People can afford gear in Sweden. Things are more expensive but wages are higher on average. it works out. It's not the ideal country to live in for cheap gear, but that doesn't mean they were only using SS equipment due to cost.

Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it needs to be done - I could say the same of tube amps.
Page 1 of 2