I want to buy a new ibanez for around 500$, but after hearing the edge iii is crap, I wonder other options I got? Can't say I use the whammy a lot, but I play some van halen and stuff from time to times.
You could probably get a used S320 or S470DXQM for around what you're willing to spend. You could also probably find an old MIJ RG or S with an Original/Lo-Pro Edge.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Yeh, all the Edge III crap is just another bandwagon, they're not the world's best trem, but they are definitely not the worst.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
Yeh, all the Edge III crap is just another bandwagon, they're not the world's best trem, but they are definitely not the worst.

truth.

I've seen far worse trems - the generic LFR's are awful.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Though I've only had my RG350 /w Edge III a week, it hasn't gone out of tune at all. It's still perfect, and you can be pretty heavy on the trem abuse.

If you still don't want to try it, look at the Fixed Bridge versions. They have one for most RG trem models
i think the problem with the edge 3 is that the knife edges wear down really quickly. so it'll work well for a while, then it'll become completely unreliable. anyway used Made in Japan RG's go for around $400-$500 on ebay. definitely a great investment. they won't let you down.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by Martindecorum
Edge III is fine, mine has never gone out of tune, its mostly incompetent dumbasses who just abuse it and most likely not no how to use one in the first place
Sorry, according to your profile you don't own a guitar with an Edge III?

Quote by SilverSpurs616
Though I've only had my RG350 /w Edge III a week, it hasn't gone out of tune at all. It's still perfect, and you can be pretty heavy on the trem abuse.
One week? While the Edge III can be an abstard it's typically going to take longer than one week for it to fail.

I owned an RG350DX for nearly a year once. In that year the Edge III was fine, never went out of tune. That being said, I hardly ever even put the tremolo bar in, let alone did anything with it.

Anyways, if you get a guitar with an Edge III make sure you bring it to somebody who can set it up properly. When I got my 350 back from it's free setup at the big guitar store the bridge wasn't leveled anywhere near properly.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
That's the one unbelievably annoying things about Ibanez trems: they don't have a flat baseplate, and most people think that's how they're supposed to be set up - like an OFR.
I think that's the big reason so many Edge III's fail so early.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You'd love the Long & McQuade I live near. They've had an RG1570 on clearance for months now. Their setup guy has bridge sitting on such an angle that there isn't any pull-up room. The bridge is actually resting on the guitar, inside the rout. They've got it down to $750 now when it's typically a $1500 guitar here in Canada.

I really want to have my 550 setup by somebody who knows their way around an Ibanez, but I just don't trust anyone local. I'm considering getting in touch with Rich from IbanezRules to find out if he'll accept my guitar for a setup.
Quote by Marty Friedman
The Ibanez Darkstone just came out, it is a hardtail guitar and looks pretty promising.

Also, why Ibanez?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Ouch.

The Daddy's Junky Music I live near (Burlington, MA) is actually pretty good about setting up Ibanez trems - not perfect, but I've seen much worse.

And they have an RG1550m in Poison Pumpkin. I want that thing so badly.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden