Just had a try of a blackstar series 1 45 watt combo. Unfortunately i couldnt crank it up as there was other stuff going on but it seemed like a really nice amp. Whats the general feeling towards these on the boards here? Also tried a Laney VC30, what a beautiful clean channel, love the sound of that amp, almost tempted by 1 of them and a good O/D pedal.
Only downside of blackstar is its £799 which is more than i wanted to spend, is it worth it?

Cheers

Dave
what types of music do you play? how many channels do you need? is it for gigging or home use, or both? etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry for lack of detail. I like to play a fair mixture of music, my fave bands are Alter bridge, in flames, Dream theater, baroness, opeth but i tend to play lighter stuff than that when playing with others and would definately like fairly good cleans.
The amp will be for gigging but for home use to be possible would be good. The variable power thing on the blackstar seemed to work well. Would like 2 channels so its nice and easy to balance out the overdrive and clean sounds.
Hope that gives all the info you need.
don't worry about the detail, it just helps us to help you.

I haven't actually tried the series one yet, is the problem. I think the type of powerscaling on it only gets it down to about 5 watts or so, though, which is still pretty loud, especially in a home environment. That won't matter if you're willing to rely on its preamp gain, it's just worth bearing in mind- if you only like its tone cranked up, for example.

the laney is nice, but it's very much aimed at the lighter stuff. Even with a boost, i imagine it'd struggle with the heavier stuff you mentioned. Of course, an amp solely aimed at the heavier stuff most likely won't do the lighter stuff you play with your band as well as the vc30. it's going to be a judgement call as to which you need more. Generally speaking, the higher gain amps will do the lower gain stuff better than the lower gain amps will do the br00tz, but that's mainly because the lower gain amps generally don't do the really heavy stuff at all, not because the high gain amps are "better" or anything like that.

you said the blackstar was more than you wanted to spend. How much do you ideally want to spend, and how much could you stretch to if you really had to? Obviously you don't want to be spending next month's rent or mortgage payment on it, but how much you could stretch without landing yourself in trouble, kind of thing, if the amp were really worth it and did exactly what you wanted (and assuming the cheaper ones don't).

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thats right Dave, it goes down to 5 watts although im not too worried if it doesnt sound as good at really low levels as long as it sounds really good at gigging type levels.
I will forget about the Laney then, it actually surprised me how quiet the laney was as well, so i had a doubt whether it had enough whoomper anyway.
My absolute max is £800 and thats not really because i wont eat if i pay more its just to stop me getting to silly and getting the best when i don't really need it, its not like I'm going to be playing to thousands of people. Also thats the amount my good lady doesn't seem to mind too much and thinks is reasonable.
Really appreciate the replies Dave, thanks for the help.
the blackstar series 1 sounds like a fantastic amp
you can definately scale it down enough for some lhome use without killing people
it's two OD channels should mean you can get from the heavier stuff to the lighter stuff aswell
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
i guess at that money, the blackstar is going to be worth a try. You should also try (if you can find them) a laney tt50 combo, engl screamer (bear in mind the footswitch is extra), marshall jvm combo...

probably some other obvious ones I'm forgetting.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok Dave, i will look out for all of those, if I don't find them then I will get the blackstar and report back how it is if anyone is interested.
Thanks again for the sugestions.
good luck
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?