Ibanez Herman Li signature Egen,, and IbanezS5470

im interested in getting one of these amazing guitars,, please compare
"Sign your guitar? I'll sign your arse if you want me to!" - Herman Li, at a guitar clinic in Malaysia

Well the herman li has that weird hand shape in it, so get the other one.
Ibanez.com will help you compare.

Herman Li has the lower horn scalloped so you have better access to the upper frets. It has a knife edge tremolo. It has twice the pickup configurations.

However, the S has the ZR2 bridge, I think. These use ball bearings instead of a knife edge.

Tremolos, in general, scare me. I can't tell you which is better. I'd personally get the Herman Li model.
Well, the EGEN is a better guitar in some respects (for example - the Dimarzio pickups), question is if you want that much more (they're about a 1000 Euro apart on Thomann).
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
If money is no object then get the Egen18.

Frankly I think you should just go play both and make up your own mind - but what do I know?
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I love the finish of the Egen, I would get that haha
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
The Egen also has scalloped frets if i remember correctly so if your not a fan or havnt played a neck with them you realy should see to it first before you buy the egen and realize you hate the upper frets.
Quote by Fridge101
The Egen also has scalloped frets if i remember correctly so if your not a fan or havnt played a neck with them you realy should see to it first before you buy the egen and realize you hate the upper frets.
The last 4 frets are scalloped. I didn't even notice on the Egen18 I tried. By the time you're at the end of the fretboard the space between the frets is so small that my fingers never touch wood anyways.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
yeah price is definitely a problem,, seeing that im only 14 :/ i was wondering however, what are the differences between the pickups, ive never actually heard of the S5470's pickups
"Sign your guitar? I'll sign your arse if you want me to!" - Herman Li, at a guitar clinic in Malaysia

Quote by ShredFlame
yeah price is definitely a problem,, seeing that im only 14 :/ i was wondering however, what are the differences between the pickups, ive never actually heard of the S5470's pickups

Ibanez pickups maybe by dimarzio, another member summed up what they were supposed to be like, I'll dig it up...
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
here we go:
Quote by Pr0gNut
Yeah,IIRC they're "designed by DiMarzio" or something like that.The bridge pup is a D-sonic clone and I believe the neck pup is modeled after the air norton.

And i think (don't quote me on it) that both guitars are versatile.

It's just that it looks retarded to go and play a 12 bar blues on a purple w/ gold guitar tbh
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Slicer666
here we go:

And i think (don't quote me on it) that both guitars are versatile.

It's just that it looks retarded to go and play a 12 bar blues on a purple w/ gold guitar tbh

Bo Diddley and Buddy Guy, anyone?

It's not about image, it's about playability. The only Ibanez I've really thought sounded any good at blues was the Joe Satch one.

*waits for people to post links to justify their fanboyism of Ibanez*
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
12 bar blues? is that patronising?

if you`ve played a Jem the neck is very similar on a EGEN18, as herman li owns a few jems.

definatly go for the EGEN the pickup configuration are cleverly arranged.

@ rooster46 not played many ibbys then. you can play any style on any guitar.
Quote by rooster456
Bo Diddley and Buddy Guy, anyone?

It's not about image, it's about playability. The only Ibanez I've really thought sounded any good at blues was the Joe Satch one.

*waits for people to post links to justify their fanboyism of Ibanez*

well to make my previous statement irrelevant I'm currently playing everything and their mothers (lame joke is lame) on an Ibby RGA 32 with actives.

Which, once i have the money, WILL go.

And the semi hollows sound awesome with blues too, and Bo Diddly and Buddy Guy were awesome, that justifies a LOT
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by ch0
The last 4 frets are scalloped. I didn't even notice on the Egen18 I tried. By the time you're at the end of the fretboard the space between the frets is so small that my fingers never touch wood anyways.

Oh ok, i knew they were scalloped just not how many of them were. Ive never played the Egen model. I did play a Malmsteen strat with the full neck scallop and loved every second of it.
I was in a music store one that had one of those MalmStrats once. I wanted to try it pretty badly but it was hanging on a hook about 20' off the ground. Lame to say the least.
Quote by Marty Friedman
egen is the bomb
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.