I'm close to the end of ZeG's phenomenal guide to guitar, and I'm starting to ask myself, what's there to learn after that? I've been playing for nearly 2 years (happy anniversary on christmas!) but I've taken the instrument seriously for the past 3 months.

I'm average on my playing, but I consider my songs to be (umm way??) above average and I'm always searching for new things to learn and add to my playing.

So, now what is there more to conquer?
Have fun?
Play songs, write songs.
I think you're not "letting yourself loose" when it comes to guitar.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Does my writing show that? :P
Well, till now I was very loose in the sense that I didn't take things seriously, and my technique sucked majorly. For 10 notes 5 would be mistakes.
But I'm playing cuz I'm having fun, whether it is MCR or Death that I'm playing or composing.

I'm just a tad too aspiring.
Broaden your taste in music. It will take about 3 months of listening to different musical eras before you REALLY see how little you know about music.

I started playing guitar my freshman year in high school. Before then, I listened to pop rock and punk, and that was it. By the end of my sophomore year, I was probably the most classic rock-loving person at the entire school. Now I like everything from 70s rock, 80s rock and metal, 90s grunge, rock, and metal, and some modern rock, metal, and even nu-metal.

Go on YouTube and listen to Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Scorpions, Rush, Thin Lizzy, ZZ Top, Boston, Posion, Audioslave, Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses, RATM, Metallica, Pantera, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Van Halen, AC/DC, Black Crowes, Skynyrd, Floyd, Hendrix, Queen, RHCP, etc. etc. etc.

You'll quickly see that knowing theory and having good technique is one thing, but applying it in different ways is something totally different. A great example is Zeppelin and Pantera. Look at Page using the blues scale, then look at Dime using it. Crazy, huh? Heartbreaker vs. Cowboys from Hell. Totally different, but strangely similar.

So your next step is to learn more music and have fun. That's what guitar is about. You'll get more out of broadening your taste in music then learning every scale there is. Just using the basic pentatonic scale but working hard to master it will make you a more versatile player than someone who learns every single scale there is but never uses them.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
^ that guy

but don't stop at rock music
jazz, blues, funk, underground hip-hop, classical, baroque, folk, ethnic - all these are awesome too
ok maybe you won't be able to use elements of all those genres, but simply listening to it helps
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Quote by philipp122
Broaden your taste in music. It will take about 3 months of listening to different musical eras before you REALLY see how little you know about music.

I started playing guitar my freshman year in high school. Before then, I listened to pop rock and punk, and that was it. By the end of my sophomore year, I was probably the most classic rock-loving person at the entire school. Now I like everything from 70s rock, 80s rock and metal, 90s grunge, rock, and metal, and some modern rock, metal, and even nu-metal.

Go on YouTube and listen to Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Scorpions, Rush, Thin Lizzy, ZZ Top, Boston, Posion, Audioslave, Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses, RATM, Metallica, Pantera, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Van Halen, AC/DC, Black Crowes, Skynyrd, Floyd, Hendrix, Queen, RHCP, etc. etc. etc.

You'll quickly see that knowing theory and having good technique is one thing, but applying it in different ways is something totally different. A great example is Zeppelin and Pantera. Look at Page using the blues scale, then look at Dime using it. Crazy, huh? Heartbreaker vs. Cowboys from Hell. Totally different, but strangely similar.

So your next step is to learn more music and have fun. That's what guitar is about. You'll get more out of broadening your taste in music then learning every scale there is. Just using the basic pentatonic scale but working hard to master it will make you a more versatile player than someone who learns every single scale there is but never uses them.

This.

And work on improving your techniques. After playing for only 2 years, I'm sure they're nowhere near perfect. Find some songs that use the techniques you're having the most trouble with and learn them.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Thanks. I've been trying to broaden my musical horizons, and I've broken away from that BR00TLZ attitude of mine since last summer. I'm familiar with all those artists, and I'm playing as much music as I can.

But I want to know, is there more theory beyond modes and modulation???

And my techniques are MILES away from perfect, I'm practising every day for at least an hour.
i got bored with what i was playing around 2 years in.. and then decided to try playing shit way out of my league such as techgrind and shred or even just playing classical piano songs on guitar.. that will kick your ass for sure
Hehe, you probably are far from your limit, there comes times during your playing that you seem to be able to do anything and you can't find anything that challenges you at all sometimes, but music is huge and there is lots for you to learn

I dunno if you have a teacher that teaches you the guitar and helps you, if you don't, be sure to find one that keeps giving you challenging things and let him choose the songs and alike. If you already have one, i'm sure he has some plan when you finish that book, so count on him.
And you said you didn't have that good technique, so a teacher might help you with that to :P

I myself reached that point about half a year ago when my old teacher died(not natural, but i won't go into detail...). I got a new one that sucked and i learnt nothing at all for about 4 months, then i decided to change and found one who originally plays upright bass, but he can play other types of guitars too, so i decided to test, and he have been giving me songs that i'm all like "Wow, there is no way i'll manage to do that! :O" inside myself, but after practicing them for a while, i learn them, and that's how i get better. I also have gotten extremely much music theory that have been really useful, like that if i play a solo on a scale, and i come somewhere where it sounds wrong, i drop one note down on the scale or one up quickly, and it sounds okay again since the bad one builded up the next note, among other things...

And most importantly, join a band, that's the best thing about playing xD
Yeah join a band. I'm in a band called the The Stabwound ****ing Goat Fisters From Necropedophelia Hell, look us up. We're pretty good.