A add...what?

One voicing for Aadd9 is:
-0-
-2-
-4-
-2-
-0-
---

add9 chords are made by adding the 9th(F#) to the major triad(A C# E) They are used to accomodate a melody usually I'd say. They don't have a resolving function.
Quote by Declan87
A add...what?

-0-
-2-
-4-
-2-
-0-
---

add9 chords are made by adding the 9th(F#) to the major triad(A C# E) They are used to accomodate a melody usually I'd say. They don't have a resolving function.

+1
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by Declan87
A add...what?

-0-
-2-
-4-
-2-
-0-
---

So when you add something, the chord still has all of the notes in the arrpegio?
Its just the chord but with the 9th added in.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
thank you, can you also explain sus, sus2 and sus4 please?
Last edited by Nitro89 at Nov 28, 2009,
Quote by Nitro89
thank you, can you also explain sus, sus2 and sus4 please?
Sus is the abbreviation of "suspended." Suspension always (as far as I know) deals with the 3rd. Sus2 replaces it with the 2, giving you 1 2 5 and sus4 replaces it with the 4, giving you 1 4 5. Sus is the assumed abbreviation of sus4.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I tried experimenting with using the sus2 and sus4 chords however nothing sounds right when I use em, can anybody help me explain how to use em, I know they are designed for creating tension until the next chord.
Quote by Declan87
A add...what?

-0-
-2-
-4-
-2-
-0-
---

add9 chords are made by adding the 9th(B) to the major triad(A C# E) They are used to accomodate a melody usually I'd say. They don't have a resolving function.

fixd
Quote by Nitro89
I tried experimenting with using the sus2 and sus4 chords however nothing sounds right when I use em, can anybody help me explain how to use em, I know they are designed for creating tension until the next chord.

can anyone help me with this please, is there a good formula as when to use it? it just sounds odd.
I haven't ever actually seen a suspended chord in a song unless they were quick one or two strum chords, like in Patience by Guns N' Roses. In that song, they hit the D chord, add the suspended 4th, take it off, add the suspended 2nd, and then hit the D again. That happens in a lot of GNR songs.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Quote by Nitro89
can anyone help me with this please, is there a good formula as when to use it? it just sounds odd.

There is no set way of how to use them, but some types of music use sus chords as a away to delay the resolution, and in some genres such as jazz sus chords can actually used as a tonic chord.
Chord Formulae:

Sus2= 1,2,5
Sus4= 1,4,5
add9= 1,3,5,9

These formula's should be able to help you construct these chords anywhere on the fretboard.

Hope this helps