Page 1 of 2
Seriously, what the hell?

Look at these prices:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Custom-22-Artist-Package-Wide-Fat-Neck-with-Stoptail-Electric-Guitar?sku=530020

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Custom-24-Electric-Guitar?sku=519908#used

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Custom-22-Doublecut-Electric-Guitar-With-Wide-Fat-Neck-5Way-Rotary-Switch-and-Nickel-Hardware?sku=582747

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-Mark-Tremonti-Signature-Model-Electric-Guitar?sku=520049

These prices are up their with the Gibson Custom Models. I mean, Gibson makes sense since they have been around since the 50s, and they brought in the Les Paul, SG, X, V, ES, etc. Fenderwas the first for the Strat. Jackson, first "Metal-looking" guitars. Ibanez, the almighty JEM. But why are PRS so expensive? Are they really that good? Better than a Gibson Ebony Les Paul Custom? A Jem? A Jackon USA KV2? I mean, I played a few of them, and they are good, but they certainly did not blow my mind away. Am I missing something? And yeah, "Santana & Tremonti", but honestly, I don't care which artists use them.
Quote by Dethonator

Look at these prices:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Custom-22-Artist-Package-Wide-Fat-Neck-with-Stoptail-Electric-Guitar?sku=530020

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Custom-24-Electric-Guitar?sku=519908#used

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Custom-22-Doublecut-Electric-Guitar-With-Wide-Fat-Neck-5Way-Rotary-Switch-and-Nickel-Hardware?sku=582747

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-Mark-Tremonti-Signature-Model-Electric-Guitar?sku=520049

These prices are up their with the Gibson Custom Models. I mean, Gibson makes sense since they have been around since the 50s, and they brought in the Les Paul, SG, X, V, ES, etc. Fenderwas the first for the Strat. Jackson, first "Metal-looking" guitars. Ibanez, the almighty JEM. But why are PRS so expensive? Are they really that good? Better than a Gibson Ebony Les Paul Custom? A Jem? A Jackon USA KV2? I mean, I played a few of them, and they are good, but they certainly did not blow my mind away. Am I missing something? And yeah, "Santana & Tremonti", but honestly, I don't care which artists use them.

Being old just means that you are old...not worth a lot more money.
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Last edited by ILuvPillows? at Nov 28, 2009,
THey have a certain tone to them. I also dont like the looks but some people enjoy the feel/ look of the guitar and im pretty sure most of the high dollar prs are handcrafted.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
In terms of quality gear, Gibson is way more overpriced than PRS. I fell in lose with PRS guitars years ago, and I've never found one that I didn't love to play. Gibson comes nowhere near the quality of PRS, nor does Fender, Jackson, or Ibanez.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Good for using your brain. I like PRS, but I wouldn't say I love them. It's all based on what you like/want. Paul Smith started out making guitars and just giving them to artists to get his name out. And that was, relative to most of the giants, not long ago. They're high-quality instruments, over-hyped, and if you don't like them that's your right as an American/Canadian/Paraguayan/etc.
Every PRS i've played has been amazing, i own one of the cheap ones and i prefer it to some of the les pauls i've played in my time...

edit: Also, a lot of people just prefer them. It's all subjective, i mean i've never really liked telecasters, they always sound so horribly tinny unless on the neck with the tone down abit and even then it sounds to me like some cheap bad guitar :\
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Nov 28, 2009,
The big deal is excellent craftsmanship and quality instruments (whereas with gibson the big deal is crappy quality control and the fact that Slash uses a les paul and Angus Young an SG therefore every kid should have one to be cool).
They cost a lot because they're worth a lot. The same can't be said about other brands.

EDIT: Also, if you're gonna mention the artists who use PRS', say Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt instead of Santana and Tremonti.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by Zoso1994 at Nov 28, 2009,
Quote by Dethonator

Look at these prices:

PRS,like a lot of other high end guitar manufacturers,has this odd mythical reputation behind them.People talk about them like they're the tools of the gods,so when people try them and see that they don't shoot lighting bolts and summon Cerberus they get disappointed.

Now,with that being said,they are very high quality instruments built using some of the best materials available by skilled people in the USA,which explains their price.Their attention to detail and the quality of their instruments is what makes them so sought after,and of course,that means they can charge high prices for their models.They're just like Gibson in the sense that when you buy one,a chunk of what you're paying for is the name and prestige that goes along with the brand.Personally,if I was forced to choose between them and Gibson,I'd take PRS any day.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

i have that tremonti model. worth every penny.

in my opinion, prs guitars are better than all those guitars you mentioned (i'll be buying a few more when i have the money), and not to sound snotty but if you can't see where your money is going, you probably shouldn't bother yourself.
PRS>Gibson
Gibson guitars aren't what they used to be, nowadays their guitars aren't as high quality as PRS guitars IMO...
Besides, the higher end PRS models are priced that high since they are hand-crafted, and I'd say that's worth it...
I liken PRS guitars to a well made Japanese made guitar that is actually made in the states and uses higher quality wood.

I like the way PRS's play, they're extremely consistent guitars from guitar to guitar. I don't like the way they sound, but that's just me.
Quote by haz_uk
wut.
Well... it's like how they make guitars in Japan, they relegate all the actual cutting and most of the assembly using high end machines rather than handwork to drive down production costs. PRS guitars are machine made using CNC machines to cut down production costs, but instead, they're made in the USA and they use the extra money for high quality wood and materials as well as the finishes, high grade tops and fancy inlays and inlay materials that you don't get on something like your typical MIJ guitar.

There's nothing wrong with machine built guitars, it's why PRS guitars are so consistent from guitar to guitar. This is something that they've been advertising for years now.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 28, 2009,
i completely disagree with your logic, but i agree that PRS are way too dear, in the UK at least. if that makes sense. right answer, wrong method, kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes, they are expensive.

Yes, you pay for the name.

But by god, I swear that rubbing your hand across that neck feels better than rubbing your own shaft.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Prs guitars are extremely high quality and sound amazing, remember, just because a guitar says 'Gibson' or 'Fender' on it, doesnt make it the best guitar in the world.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

I'm not normally a fan of such guitars, but there's no denying that they're amazing quality.
Build quality is outstanding, tone is huge and applicable to almost all styles. I wouldn't buy one, but I understand why everyone else would.
If you have to ask, you'll never know, until you do.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Prs uses super highend wood on those models and you are paying for the name and bird inlays, they are good guitars, I find them to be hit miss sometimes tho, I played one that sounded incredible and played others that was just blah
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
Quote by MetalGS3SE
In terms of quality gear, Gibson is way more overpriced than PRS. I fell in lose with PRS guitars years ago, and I've never found one that I didn't love to play. Gibson comes nowhere near the quality of PRS, nor does Fender, Jackson, or Ibanez.

Looking at your avatar, I think there's another reason you're not listing.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
They're very, very expensive, yes. They also use very high-quality materials for their guitars and have what is possibly the best quality control of any major production manufacturer. Does that mean I think they SHOULD be that expensive? By no means should they be, but they're superior to so many other guitars in terms of quality that they can almost justify their prices.

They're also absolute works of art. Just gorgeous guitars really.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
They're not really that priced IMO. Certainly compared to other brands they are but Caparison's go for about a grand less and imo the PRS I played was without a doubt twice as great as my Caparison. Certainly if you can't justify the price tag then by all mean you don't need to purchase them but it's an opinion everyone has that certain guitars are more justifiable the others.
Because people will pay top dollar for pretty things...
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
i've said it before and i'll say it again.

when you're paying that much for a guitar, it's not just because it's got a pretty finish or it says "Paul Reed Smith" on the headstock.

you're paying for quality. the high end PRS guitars are extremely well crafted from the finest wood they can get their hands on, and the quality of the wood does more for the feel and the tone of a guitar than replacement hardware and pickups ever will be able to.

whether anyone should buy one or not really depends on whether they appreciate the luxury of having such a fantastic quality instrument or whether a bog standard PRS SE will do just fine for them - if you don't see what the big deal is, don't buy one, but at least try to accept that the people who own one do see it and do appreciate it, and didn't buy it just to say "my guitar cost more than yours".
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i'm not saying they're not nice guitars, and not made of nice materials, but I can accept that and still think they're too dear. there are plenty of manufacturers offering similar quality for less. you can pick up a second-hand patrick eggle for £300-£700 or so (ok, not exactly like with like, but still); i picked up an ex-demo/NOS JJ for just over £400... both use brazilian mahogany, and the eggle has an ebony board (which, as far as I'm aware, PRS refuses to use except for its private stock instruments).

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Ebony =/= Better. Personally I think it looks horrendously boring on a guitar. Rosewood is a gorgeous wood, which is part of the reason it's used on PRS boards.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by sashki
I'm not normally a fan of such guitars, but there's no denying that they're amazing quality.
Build quality is outstanding, tone is huge and applicable to almost all styles. I wouldn't buy one, but I understand why everyone else would.

someone with an open mind. Nice. I agree 100 percent. I haven't played any of their really high end models but what I have played I wasn't crazy about but I have been looking at them more and more lately.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
idk, to me they are nothing special...yeah they're nice guitars, but dang, most guitars are nice in the prs price range...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by bi-ah!
idk, to me they are nothing special...yeah they're nice guitars, but dang, most guitars are nice in the prs price range...

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Eye-Guitar.aspx

aaaaaaaaaaaand you were saying?
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
PRS makes really great guitars. Why is it assumed that Gibson and Fender are better because they have been around longer? I have the right to say that because I have a Gibson.

The other thing is you picked out the most expensive PRSes out there. They have 500 and 600 dollar models too. Besides, a Gibson or Fender isn't for everyone, so why can't the PRS players enjoy their guitars and we'll enjoy ours?
Quote by Natrone
^Ebony =/= Better. Personally I think it looks horrendously boring on a guitar. Rosewood is a gorgeous wood, which is part of the reason it's used on PRS boards.

i never said it was better. But it is more expensive (as far as i'm aware), and PRS only uses it on the Private Stock guitars, so to argue that it's using the best (and by that, i mean most expensive) woods...

i agree that rosewood isn't necessarily bad, good quality rosewood is very nice indeed, and they sound different. But it's nice to have the option, and you don't with PRS.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Slicer666

Damn that thing looks like crap, would not pay $2500 for it when I can buy a PRS Custom 22 for that. Or an Ibanez.

I dont know of very many guitar manafactures that make as good of a guitar as PRS for their price range and stays completly consistent and has excellent quality control.

Go play a PRS Custom 22/24 and you'll understand real quick what all the fuss is about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B-iIbrIMZ0

There are only a few guitar manufacturers that provide the level of quality and detail that PRS has. And all of them reflect this in their prices.

And IMO Gibson USA is not at the level of PRS, Suhr, Anderson, Tyler, Heritage, Grosh, Vigier, Morgaine, etc. (perhaps their Custom shop is though)

The expectations for a $2000+ dollar guitar are very high, obviously; just stare at the grain and learn a thing or two.

And don't even kid yourself into thinking that just because a guitar may look the same on paper, the same woods and pickups etc., means it is built the same as these high end guitars.

And best quality woods has nothing to do with ebony vs. rosewood. Sub $1000 guitars don't usually have AAAA bookmatched maple tops, this is true, but also the attention to detail and quality control over the woods that go into making high end guitars is far and beyond that of mass consumer level guitars.
-Mike
Last edited by HopePoisoned at Nov 29, 2009,
I hate how they're so expensive. For someone like me who can't spare that much money right now, it sucks, because those babies are so darn tempting.
Quote by bi-ah!

everyone likes different stuff broski. prs are beautoful guitars. great tone. who uses them speaks enough.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Damn that thing looks like crap, would not pay $2500 for it when I can buy a PRS Custom 22 for that. Or an Ibanez.
except its probably closer to $1200-$1500 seeing that nothing ever sells for the MSRP.
Quote by al112987
Well... it's like how they make guitars in Japan, they relegate all the actual cutting and most of the assembly using high end machines rather than handwork to drive down production costs. PRS guitars are machine made using CNC machines to cut down production costs, but instead, they're made in the USA and they use the extra money for high quality wood and materials as well as the finishes, high grade tops and fancy inlays and inlay materials that you don't get on something like your typical MIJ guitar.

There's nothing wrong with machine built guitars, it's why PRS guitars are so consistent from guitar to guitar. This is something that they've been advertising for years now.

good answer, didn't know what you were getting at with the whole japan thing.

It's also nice to see a company that's constantly evolving and improving, I'm looking forward to the day when they break into the acoustic market and become as renowned as the likes of martin and taylor.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i never said it was better. But it is more expensive (as far as i'm aware), and PRS only uses it on the Private Stock guitars, so to argue that it's using the best (and by that, i mean most expensive) woods...

i agree that rosewood isn't necessarily bad, good quality rosewood is very nice indeed, and they sound different. But it's nice to have the option, and you don't with PRS.

I'm pretty sure they dont use Ebony on non-Private Stock guitars because their CNC machines will snap an ebony board when they shape/cut it. The Private Stock guitars are hand-made so they can use ebony as the boards are probably hand slotted/radiused. I read that in GB&C from someone who knows CNC's.
Page 1 of 2