Hello everyone
So I now own an Ibanez RG5EX1, without any mods at all.
I love the neck, it's just perfect.
However the pickups aren't all that good, and i'm considering changing them to EMGs - 81, S, 60. But installing the actives would be a pain, and the guy at the guitar store nearest to my house says this is bad, like putting a ferrari engine into an old 70's car.
Now, I would also like an Explorer body - the LTD 401DX looks amazing, but I tried it and the neck isn't what I like. However it does have the shape, and pickups I want.
so...
Would it be easier to change the body of my Ibanez, or get the LTD and change the neck?
but the LTD is a neck through, so this would be a pain as well...
wow, this is getting confusing...
so, to summarize, I like:
- the neck of my ibanez
- the body and pickups of the LTD
which is the best way to put these all together, considering the fact that this is just a plan and that i have only a couple hundred bucks right now... and probably won't get above 500 in the next year or so.
Quote by ElvenLord
Hello everyone
So I now own an Ibanez RG5EX1, without any mods at all.
I love the neck, it's just perfect.
However the pickups aren't all that good, and i'm considering changing them to EMGs - 81, S, 60. But installing the actives would be a pain, and the guy at the guitar store nearest to my house says this is bad, like putting a ferrari engine into an old 70's car.
Now, I would also like an Explorer body - the LTD 401DX looks amazing, but I tried it and the neck isn't what I like. However it does have the shape, and pickups I want.
so...
Would it be easier to change the body of my Ibanez, or get the LTD and change the neck?
but the LTD is a neck through, so this would be a pain as well...
wow, this is getting confusing...
so, to summarize, I like:
- the neck of my ibanez
- the body and pickups of the LTD
which is the best way to put these all together, considering the fact that this is just a plan and that i have only a couple hundred bucks right now... and probably won't get above 500 in the next year or so.

The guy who said it was a bad idea is an idiot. You could do a pickup swap just fine. If you dont like the neck on the Ltd then dont get it. ALso changing the neck thru would hurt the resale of the guitar. So i would say change the pickups in your Ibanez and then find an explorer that you like.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.