how much does it it cost (US$) to get a new fretboard faceted onto an existing neck?
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

get a new neck trust me.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
get a new neck trust me.

i will, if you could explain...

Ya a new neck is best, ive never heard of just replacing the fretboard before.
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
Quote by Panasonic3
i will, if you could explain...

explain what? go to the music store and buy a new neck...not that complicated...
just wondering WHY it is a better decision to get an entirely new neck. ive got a PRS SE Custom and its not a bolt on.

You will likely spend almost as much on a new fretboard and having it attached as you would on a new neck. Not sure that I would sink that type of money on modifying an SE, but that's just me...
-----------------------------------
G.A.S. Afflicted
i have a rosewood neck and i want ebony for more attack and sustain. i also want custom inlays.

It doesn't change much.

Inlays are possible - though expensive, a luthier could do it for you.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
thank you very much for your input, it sounds like i should value your opinion.

i suppose my motives are not exactly about tone, just looking for something new.

but damn, $800? what about for a new neck entirely? like i said its not a bolt on.

For a new neck, it would be probably $200-300. Just make sure you get one with the right scale length and neck pocket.

EDIT: Wow, in the post above, I thought you said it was a bolt on. :/ My bad.
Well, removing the neck will be just as difficult as removing the fretboard, so I say get a new fretboard.
Last edited by Baby Joel at Nov 28, 2009,
As its a set neck a neck swap inst really an option. Fret boards can be replaced. Ive sweated em off before and glued on new ones. But its not a cheap job if your gonna pay to have it done. And inlay work would only add considerably to the expense. Its alot of trouble and money for very little in return. Its not gonna really be a different guitar with an ebony board vs rosewood.
To have a new neck put in by someone else would be even more expensive. I've seen people just un set the neck only from 500-1000$
Factor in the new neck, etc, it's costly.

People saying to just replace the neck must not realize you said set neck. It's a tedious, time consuming ordeal that is more luck then anything.

I'd vote new fretboard in this case, only because it's a set neck. If it was bolt on, then yea, replace the entire neck.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
i vote get a completely new guitar. the amount of money you would spend on a job like this, whether it be a fretboard or a neck would be enough to purchase a much better and new guitar that already has an ebony board and intricate inlays.

so save up some money and buy a new axe!
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Schecter C-1+
Squier '51 (blonde with black pickguard)
Fender Super Champ XD